The most important part of preventive health care is maintaining good health habits. This includes:
- Avoiding alcohol use or using it in moderation
- Avoiding smoking and drug abuse
- Controlling any diseases or disorders, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or high levels of cholesterol in the blood
- Getting daily exercise
- Getting proper nutrition
In addition to these habits, some screening services may help prevent or minimize disease.
1. It is important and recommended for adults to have the following periodic screening tests:
Abdominal aortic ultrasound in certain people
Colon cancer screening
- Depression screening
- Genetic testing for breast cancer or ovarian cancer in certain women
- Sexually transmitted disease screening
See also: Physical exam frequency
2. Many diseases can be effectively treated when detected early. See your primary health care provider right away if:
- A lump or persistent sore appears on your body.
- You have unexplained weight loss.
- You have a lasting fever.
- You develop a chronic cough.
- You notice continued body aches and pains.
Have a plan for getting professional care before the need arises.
3. Keep immunizations up-to-date. See: Immunizations - general overview
Comment «Preventive health care»