This is poisoning from swallowing or eating dirt.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
There are no particular poisonous ingredients unless the dirt contains contaminants such as insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers, parasites, and waste.
Swallowing dirtÃ‚Â may cause constipation andÃ‚Â intestinal obstruction, which results in stomach pain.
Determine the following information:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
The patient may not need to visit an emergency room. If the person goes to the hospital, treatment may include:
Recovery is very likely unless the dirt containsÃ‚Â something that can cause complications.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â