Hydromorphone is a prescription medicine used to relieve severe pain. Hydromorphone overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Hydromorphone is a type of morphine. Hydromorphone is an opioid narcotic, which means it is an extremely powerful drug that can cause very deep sleep.
Patients who are prescribed hydromorphone for pain should not drink alcohol. Combining alcohol with this drug increases the chance for dangerous side effects and overdose symptoms.
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Warning: A severe overdose of hydromorphone can cause death.
This can be a serious overdose. Seek immediate medical help.
Determine the following information:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms are treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
Patients who quicklyÃ‚Â receive medicine to reverse the effect of hydromorphone can recoverÃ‚Â within 1 to 4 hours.
Dilaudid overdose; Palladone overdose