This article discusses the health effects from an overdose of diphenhydramine, a type of medicine called an antihistamine, which is found in various allergy and sleep medicines.
Overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of a drug or medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
The ingredient diphenhydramine may be found in the following products:
This list is not all-inclusive.
Determine the following information:
However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
Recovery is likely if the patient survives the first 24 hours.
Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose, unless there have been serious heart rhythm disturbances or breathing problems.
Benadryl overdose; Sominex overdose; Nytol overdose