Drugs Information Online
Drugs and diseases reference index

Drugs and diseases reference index
Search
EN

Diseases reference index «Foreign object - inhaled or swallowed»

If you breathe a foreign object into the respiratory tract, it may become stuck and cause breathing or airway problems, as well as inflammation and infection.

If swallowed, a foreign object may become stuck along the gastrointestinal (GI)tract, which can lead to infection or bleeding.

See also: Choking

Considerations

These events can occur at any age, but are most common in children ages 1 to 3.

Causes

Certain foods (nuts, seeds, popcorn) and small objects (buttons, beads) are easily inhaled by young children. Such objects may cause either partial or total airway blockage.

Coins, small toys, marbles, pins, screws, rocks, and anything else small enough for infants or toddlers to put in their mouths can be swallowed. If the object passes through the esophagus and into the stomach without getting stuck, it will probably pass through the entire GI tract.

Symptoms

  • Choking
  • Coughing
  • No breathing or breathing trouble (respiratory distress)
  • Wheezing

However, in some cases, only minor symptoms are seen at first, and the object may be forgotten until later symptoms (inflammation, infection) develop.

First Aid

FOR INHALED OBJECT

Any child who may have inhaled an object should be seen by a doctor. Children with obvious breathing trouble may have a total airway blockage that requires emergency medical attention.

If choking or coughing goes away, and the child does not have any other symptoms, he or she should be watched for signs and symptoms of infection or irritation. X-rays may be needed.

Bronchoscopy may be necessary to make a definitive diagnosis and to remove the object. Antibiotics and respiratory therapy techniques may be used if infection develops.

FOR SWALLOWED OBJECT

Any child who is believed to have swallowed a foreign object should be watched for pain, fever, vomiting, or local tenderness. Stools (bowel movements) should be checked to see if the object exited the body. This may sometimes cause rectal or anal bleeding.

Even sharp objects (such as pins and screws) usually pass through the GI tract without complications. X-rays are sometimes needed, especially if the child has pain or the object does not pass within 4 to 5 days.

DO NOT

DO NOT "force feed" infants who are crying or breathing rapidly.

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call a health care provider or local emergency number (such as 911) if you think a child has inhaled or swallowed a foreign object.

Prevention

  • Cut food into appropriate sizes for small children, and teach them how to chew well.
  • Discourage talking, laughing, or playing while food is in the mouth.
  • Do not give potentially dangerous foods such as hot dogs, whole grapes, nuts, popcorn, or hard candy to children under age 3.
  • Keep small objects out of the reach of young children.

Alternative Names

Obstructed airway; Blocked airway

Comment «Foreign object - inhaled or swallowed»