A stingray is a sea animal with a whip-like tail. The tail contains sharp spines that contain venom. This article describes the effects of a stingray sting.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Wash the area with salt water. Remove any foreign material at the wound site. Contact an emergency room. Soak the wound in the hottest water the patient can tolerate for 30 - 90 minutes, if instructed to do so.
Determine the following:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
They will instruct you if it is necessary to take the patient to the hospital, and any appropriate first aid that can be administered prior to arrival.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
The patient may receive:
Recovery usually takes about 24 - 48 hours. Death has occurred when the patient's chest or abdomen was punctured.