Fluticasone PowderGeneric Name:
Fluticasone (floo-TICK-ah-ZONE)Brand Name:
Examples include Flovent Diskus and Flovent Rotadisk
Fluticasone Powder is used for:
Preventing asthma attacks. Fluticasone Powder will not stop an asthma attack once one has started. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fluticasone Powder is a corticosteroid. It works by decreasing the irritation and swelling of the breathing tubes (bronchial tubes) of the lung to control or prevent asthma symptoms.
Do NOT use Fluticasone Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fluticasone Powder
- you are having a severe asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fluticasone Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fluticasone Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma; cataracts; a bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or viral infection; measles; chicken pox; shingles; tuberculosis (TB); a positive TB skin test; diarrhea; or a herpes infection in the eye; or if you have recently received a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fluticasone Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain medicine that act on the liver (eg, protease inhibitors [eg, ritonavir], ketoconazole) because they may increase the actions and side effects of Fluticasone Powder
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Fluticasone Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fluticasone Powder:
Use Fluticasone Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Fluticasone Powder. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Fluticasone Powder is for oral inhalation only.
- If you use 2 inhalations for a dose, use the first and wait at least 30 seconds before using the second inhalation.
- Do not use Fluticasone Powder with a spacer device.
- Rinse your mouth out or gargle with water after using Fluticasone Powder to prevent mouth sores or a bad aftertaste.
- If you miss a dose of Fluticasone Powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do NOT use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fluticasone Powder.
Important safety information:
- Fluticasone Powder is used to prevent the occurrence of asthma attacks. It is not to be used for a severe asthma attack that requires quick relief. Ask your doctor to provide you with another medicine that is used to relieve sudden asthma attacks.
- Avoid exposure to chicken pox and measles. If exposed, contact your doctor at once.
- If you are also using a bronchodilator inhaler, be sure to always carry the inhaler with you to use during asthma attacks.
- Always have a spare inhaler available in case the unit malfunctions or is empty.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Fluticasone Powder before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Fluticasone Powder may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- After you begin using Fluticasone Powder, a few weeks may pass before the full benefit is obtained. Continue to use it as directed during this time.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Fluticasone Powder. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Fluticasone Powder should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 4 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Fluticasone Powder.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fluticasone Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Fluticasone Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Fluticasone Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fluticasone Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Back problems; bronchitis; cough; diarrhea; difficulty speaking; dry mouth; fever; flu; headache; hoarseness; muscle pain; nausea; oral yeast infection; runny nose; sinus inflammation; sore throat; stomach pain or discomfort; stuffy nose; throat irritation; upper respiratory tract infection.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); cataracts; choking; fainting; growth suppression in children; irregular heartbeat; numbness or tingling in arms or legs; pounding in the chest; severe dizziness; sudden weight loss; swelling of the throat; unusual weakness; vomiting; wheezing; white curd-like patches in the mouth; worsening of asthma.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Fluticasone Powder:
Store Fluticasone Powder at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from direct sunlight, heat, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. The inhalation device is not reusable. Inhalation devices should be thrown away 2 months after the foil over-wrap is opened or on the expiration date (whichever comes first). Place the sticker provided with the product on the tube and enter the date the foil over-wrap is opened. Do not puncture any of the blisters until you are ready to take a dose. Keep Fluticasone Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fluticasone Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fluticasone Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Fluticasone Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fluticasone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Fluticasone Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Fluticasone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- fluticasone Inhalation, oral/nebulization Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Flovent Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Flovent Consumer Overview
- Flovent Rotadisk Prescribing Information (FDA)