Allantoin/Coal Tar ShampooGeneric Name:
Allantoin/Coal Tar (a-LAN-toyn/kohl tar)Brand Name:
Original Tegrin Medicated
Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo is used for:
Relieving itching, scaling, dryness, and flaking of the skin due to dandruff, eczema, psoriasis, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo is a keratolytic. It works by slowing bacterial growth and loosing and softening scales and crust.
Do NOT use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo
- you have a condition that makes you sensitive to sunlight (eg, lupus, allergy to sunlight)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are using any other treatment for psoriasis, including ultraviolet radiation or a prescription medicine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo. However, no specific interactions with Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo:
Use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet the scalp and hair. Apply the medicine to the scalp, massage into a lather, and allow it to remain on the scalp for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and repeat.
- Wash your hands after using Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo.
- If you miss a dose of Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Avoid getting Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo in your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you get Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Do not use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo on open, raw, inflamed, or infected skin.
- Do not use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo in or around the genital area, groin, or rectum unless you doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not use any other medicines or special cleansers on the affected area without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo over a large area of your body without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo for a prolonged period of time without consulting your doctor.
- Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo may stain hair, skin, and clothing.
- Do not use soap, detergent, or other shampoo on your hair before or after using Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo.
- Use Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Itching, burning, tenderness, or redness; sensitivity to sunlight.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive dryness; irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo:
Store Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Allantoin/Coal Tar Shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.