Gastrinex Generic Name: Amylase/Lipase/Protease/Cellulase/Hyoscyamine/Phenyltoloxamine
Examples include Digex and Gastrinex
Gastrinex is used for:
Relieving symptoms of indigestion (eg, feeling of fullness, gas, bloating) that occur after meals.
Gastrinex is a digestive enzyme and anticholinergic combination. It works by helping the body to digest protein, starch, and fat. It also decreases bowel spasms.
Do NOT use Gastrinex if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gastrinex or to pork protein
- you have inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) or a flare-up of long-term pancreas problems
- you have severe esophagus problems (eg, irritation, narrowing); a blockage of the stomach, bowel, or bladder; bowel motility problems; or severe bowel problems (eg, severe ulcerative colitis, toxic megacolon)
- you have glaucoma, myasthenia gravis, or heart problems caused by severe bleeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gastrinex :
Some medical conditions may interact with Gastrinex . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of pancreas problems, stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, short bowel syndrome), or cystic fibrosis
- if you have nerve problems, prostate problems, esophagus problems (eg, reflux), heart or blood vessel problems (eg, fast or irregular heartbeat, heart failure, coronary heart disease), hiatal hernia, kidney problems, an overactive thyroid, high blood pressure, urinary problems, paralysis, or brain damage, or if you are at risk for glaucoma
- if you have diarrhea or fever, have been very ill, or are in poor health
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gastrinex . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amantadine, antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine), haloperidol, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine), other anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine), phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Gastrinex 's side effects
- Narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine) or potassium chloride because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Gastrinex
- Ketoconazole or metoclopramide because their effectiveness may be decreased by Gastrinex
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Gastrinex may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gastrinex :
Use Gastrinex as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Gastrinex by mouth with each meal or snack as directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Gastrinex , skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once or take a dose without a snack or a meal.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gastrinex .
Important safety information:
- Gastrinex may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Gastrinex with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Gastrinex ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If you open the capsule, do not breathe in the powder. Some patients may experience an asthma attack or severe allergic reaction (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue) from breathing in the powder.
- Do not become overheated or dehydrated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Drink plenty of fluids, maintain good oral hygiene, and suck on sugarless hard candy to relieve dry mouth.
- Proper dental care is important while you are taking Gastrinex . Brush and floss your teeth and visit the dentist regularly.
- Gastrinex may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Gastrinex before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Contact your doctor if you have loose stools while you take Gastrinex . Your doctor may need to decrease your dose.
- Use Gastrinex with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially constipation, trouble urinating, dry mouth, drowsiness, agitation, confusion, excitability, or memory problems.
- Caution is advised when using Gastrinex in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Gastrinex can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Gastrinex while you are pregnant. Gastrinex is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gastrinex , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gastrinex :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; constipation; decreased sweating; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; enlarged pupils; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); agitation; behavior changes; confusion; decreased sexual ability; difficulty focusing eyes; disorientation; exaggerated sense of well-being; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; memory loss; mental or mood changes; severe or persistent loose stools or diarrhea; severe or persistent stomach pain; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; speech changes; taste changes or loss; trouble urinating; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; disorientation; excessive thirst or excitability; fever; hot, dry skin; seizures; severe dry mouth; severe or persistent blurred vision, dizziness, headache, nausea, or vomiting; trouble breathing or swallowing.Proper storage of Gastrinex :
Store Gastrinex at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Gastrinex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gastrinex , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gastrinex is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Gastrinex . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.