Gelusil Chewable TabletsGeneric Name: Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone
Examples include Gelusil and Mintox Plus
Gelusil Chewable Tablets are used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, gas, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gelusil Chewable Tablets are an antacid and antiflatulent. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach. It also causes the gas produced by some foods to remain dissolved, allowing it to be passed through the system more comfortably.
Do NOT use Gelusil Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gelusil Chewable Tablets
- you are also taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gelusil Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gelusil Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease, kidney problems, appendicitis, diarrhea, a stomach blockage, or an ileostomy
- if you have recently had stomach bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gelusil Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) and citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives) because they may increase the actions and the risk of Gelusil Chewable Tablets's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), quinidine, or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Gelusil Chewable Tablets
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, delavirdine, digoxin, imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Gelusil Chewable Tablets, especially when taken at the same time as Gelusil Chewable Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Gelusil Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gelusil Chewable Tablets:
Use Gelusil Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Gelusil Chewable Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing. Drink a glass of water after swallowing.
- Do not use Gelusil Chewable Tablets within 2 hours before or after taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonate (eg, risedronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone), delavirdine, digoxin, imidazole (eg, ketoconazole), penicillamine, or sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Gelusil Chewable Tablets.
- If you miss a dose of Gelusil Chewable Tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gelusil Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take the maximum dose for longer than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, or if you experience black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, check with your doctor.
- Gelusil Chewable Tablets has aluminum and magnesium in it. Before you begin taking any new prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read the ingredients to see has aluminum or magnesium in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Gelusil Chewable Tablets while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gelusil Chewable Tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gelusil Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gelusil Chewable Tablets:
Store Gelusil Chewable Tablets between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Gelusil Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gelusil Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gelusil Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Gelusil Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Maalox Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)