GNP Capsaicin LotionGeneric Name: Capsaicin
Examples include Castiva Warming and GNP Capsaicin
GNP Capsaicin Lotion is used for:
Temporary relief of muscle and joint pain associated with arthritis, simple backaches, sprains, strains, and bruises. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
GNP Capsaicin Lotion is a topical analgesic. Exactly how it works is unknown, but it is thought to decrease the amount of a certain substance (substance P) that transmits pain in the body.
Do NOT use GNP Capsaicin Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in GNP Capsaicin Lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using GNP Capsaicin Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with GNP Capsaicin Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an open wound or damaged, broken, or irritated skin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with GNP Capsaicin Lotion. Because little, if any, of GNP Capsaicin Lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if GNP Capsaicin Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use GNP Capsaicin Lotion:
Use GNP Capsaicin Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with GNP Capsaicin Lotion. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Apply just enough medicine to cover the affected area. Gently massage the medicine into skin until it disappears.
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after using GNP Capsaicin Lotion unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you are using GNP Capsaicin Lotion on your hands, allow 30 minutes for the medicine to absorb before washing. During this time, avoid touching damaged or irritated skin, contact lenses, or your eyes, nose, mouth, or other mucous membranes. Wash hands after 30 minutes.
- Do not apply to wounds or damaged, broken (open), or irritated skin.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area.
- Do not use GNP Capsaicin Lotion with a heating pad.
- Do not expose the treated area to heat or direct sunlight. Warm or hot water or sunlight may increase the likelihood of burning or itching. Do not use GNP Capsaicin Lotion immediately after bathing, swimming, using a hot tub, sunbathing, or exposure to heat.
- If you miss a dose of GNP Capsaicin Lotion, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use GNP Capsaicin Lotion.
Important safety information:
- For external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, and mouth. If GNP Capsaicin Lotion gets into your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose, use for longer than prescribed, or use large amounts of GNP Capsaicin Lotion without checking with your doctor.
- Do not inhale any residue from GNP Capsaicin Lotion after it has dried. Coughing, sneezing, or throat or respiratory irritation may occur.
- GNP Capsaicin Lotion may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken GNP Capsaicin Lotion by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- If condition worsens, or if symptoms persists for more than 7 days or clear up and occur again within a few days, stop use of this product and contact your health care provider.
- If redness is present or if irritation develops, check with your doctor before using any more of GNP Capsaicin Lotion.
- If severe burning or itching occurs, remove product by thoroughly washing the area with soap and cold water.
- GNP Capsaicin Lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using GNP Capsaicin Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if GNP Capsaicin Lotion is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use GNP Capsaicin Lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of GNP Capsaicin Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Temporary burning or stinging at the application site that usually disappears in a few days.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty breathing or swallowing; irritation, redness, blistering, or severe or persistent burning at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. GNP Capsaicin Lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of GNP Capsaicin Lotion:
Store GNP Capsaicin Lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Close cap tightly after use. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep GNP Capsaicin Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about GNP Capsaicin Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- GNP Capsaicin Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about GNP Capsaicin Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.