Gonal-f PowderGeneric Name: Follitropin Alfa
Gonal-f Powder is used for:
Treating infertility in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gonal-f Powder is a human follicle-stimulating hormone. It is used to treat infertility in women by stimulating the ovaries to produce eggs.It is used to treat male infertility by increasing sperm count. Gonal-f Powder is usually given with other medicines.
Do NOT use Gonal-f Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gonal-f Powder
- you are allergic to sucrose, sodium phosphate, or benzyl alcohol
- you have uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal problems
- you have pituitary tumor or other brain lesion or tumor
- you have hormone-sensitive tumors
- you have primary ovarian failure (eg, your ovaries do not make eggs)
- you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant
- you have cancer in your female organs (eg, ovaries, breast, uterus)
- you have heavy or irregular bleeding from your uterus or vagina
- you have ovarian cysts or enlargement, not due to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gonal-f Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gonal-f Powder. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have urinary tract bleeding
- if you have an adrenal gland or thyroid problem
- if you have permanent damage to the testes
- if you have swollen, enlarged, or painful ovaries
- if you have blood-clotting problems or breathing problems (eg, asthma)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gonal-f Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if Gonal-f Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gonal-f Powder:
Use Gonal-f Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Gonal-f Powder. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Gonal-f Powder is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Gonal-f Powder at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Gonal-f Powder. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Gonal-f Powder if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Do not touch the needle or allow it to touch any surface.
- The duration of treatment will be determined by your health care provider.
- It is recommended that a couple using Gonal-f Powder has intercourse daily, starting on the day before the injection of Gonal-f Powder.
- If you miss a dose of Gonal-f Powder, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gonal-f Powder.
Important safety information:
- Gonal-f Powder may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Gonal-f Powder with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Women will need to have a complete gynecological and hormone evaluation prior to starting therapy with Gonal-f Powder. Your partner should be evaluated for fertility problems.
- Men will need to have a complete medical and hormone evaluation before starting therapy with Gonal-f Powder.
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is a severe side effect that may occur in some women who use Gonal-f Powder. Contact your doctor right away if you develop severe stomach pain or bloating; nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; sudden unexplained weight gain; shortness of breath; or decreased urination.
- Gonal-f Powder may cause multiple births (eg, twins). Talk with your doctor to discuss your chances of multiple births.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use.
- Lab tests, such as ultrasound or drawing an estradiol level, may be performed while you use Gonal-f Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Gonal-f Powder is not for use in the ELDERLY; safety and effectiveness in the elderly have not been confirmed.
- Gonal-f Powder should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Gonal-f Powder if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gonal-f Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gonal-f Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Acne; breast pain or growth; discomfort at the injection site; headache; sinus infection; stomach upset; tiredness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal vaginal bleeding; calf pain or tenderness; chest pain; confusion; fever; one-sided weakness; severe or persistent shortness of breath; severe pelvic or back pain; signs of OHSS (eg, decreased urination; diarrhea; severe or persistent stomach pain, upset or bloating; nausea; sudden unexplained weight gain; vomiting); slurred speech; unusual vaginal itching, discharge, or odor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org ), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea; severe headache; severe stomach pain or swelling; vomiting; weakness; weight gain.Proper storage of Gonal-f Powder:
Store Gonal-f Powder in the refrigerator (36 to 46 degrees F; 2 to 8 degrees C) until the expiration date. It can be kept at room temperature (68 to 77 degrees F; 20 to 25 degrees C) for up to 1 month or until the expiration date, whichever comes first. Once Gonal-f Powder is mixed, it should be used immediately. Do not store medicine that has been mixed. Protect from light. Do not freeze. Keep Gonal-f Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gonal-f Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gonal-f Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Gonal-f Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gonal-f Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Follistim Consumer Overview
- Follistim Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Follistim AQ Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Gonal-F Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Gonal-f RFF Prescribing Information (FDA)