Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin DropsGeneric Name:
Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin (gram-i-SYE-din/NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in)Brand Name:
Examples include Neocin-PG and Neosporin
Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops are used for:
Treating eye infections caused by certain bacteria.
Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops are an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria on the eye.
Do NOT use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops or to other aminoglycosides (eg, tobramycin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops. Because little, if any, of Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops:
Use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- To prevent reinfection, wash your hands before and after using Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops.
Important safety information:
- Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops only works against bacteria; it does not treat fungal or viral infections.
- Be sure to use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops for future eye problems unless directed by your doctor.
- Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild burning, irritation, or stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continued redness, burning, swelling, or itching; eye discharge; eye pain; secondary infection.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops:
Store Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Gramicidin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.