Griseofulvin MicrosizeGeneric Name:
Griseofulvin (gri-see-oh-FULL-vin)Brand Name:
Griseofulvin Microsize is used for:
Treating fungal infections of the scalp, body, foot (athlete's foot), nails, thigh (jock itch), or hair follicles (barber's itch).
Griseofulvin Microsize is an antifungal agent. It works by making the skin more resistant to fungal growth.
Do NOT use Griseofulvin Microsize if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Griseofulvin Microsize
- you have severe liver disease or the blood disease porphyria
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Griseofulvin Microsize:
Some medical conditions may interact with Griseofulvin Microsize. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, liver disease, lupus, or numbness of the hands or feet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Griseofulvin Microsize. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) because they may decrease Griseofulvin Microsize's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), cyclosporine, or oral contraceptives (birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Griseofulvin Microsize
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Griseofulvin Microsize may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Griseofulvin Microsize:
Use Griseofulvin Microsize as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Griseofulvin Microsize by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Griseofulvin Microsize for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Griseofulvin Microsize, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Griseofulvin Microsize.
Important safety information:
- Griseofulvin Microsize may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Griseofulvin Microsize with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Be sure to use Griseofulvin Microsize for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Griseofulvin Microsize.
- Griseofulvin Microsize may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Griseofulvin Microsize. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- It is important to practice good hygiene during and after use to prevent reinfection.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Griseofulvin Microsize. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Use an effective form of birth control for 6 months after using Griseofulvin Microsize.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts, liver function, and kidney function, may be performed while you use Griseofulvin Microsize. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Griseofulvin Microsize should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Griseofulvin Microsize if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Griseofulvin Microsize, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Griseofulvin Microsize:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; difficulty sleeping; dizziness; fatigue; headache; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; numbness of tingling of the hands or feet; white patches in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Griseofulvin Microsize:
Store Griseofulvin Microsize at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Griseofulvin Microsize out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Griseofulvin Microsize, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Griseofulvin Microsize is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Griseofulvin Microsize. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Griseofulvin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Griseofulvin Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Fulvicin P/G Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Fulvicin P/G Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Fulvicin P/G Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Gris-PEG Prescribing Information (FDA)