Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine LiquidGeneric Name:
Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine (gwye-FEN-e-sin/high-droe-KOE-dohn/fen-ill-EF-rin)Brand Name:
Examples include Ambi 5/15/100 and Levall 5.0
Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid is used for:
Relieving cough and congestion due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, thinning and loosening mucous in the airway, and decreasing the cough reflex. This makes breathing easier, decreases a dry cough, and makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to morphine, codeine, or any other opiate (eg, hydrocodone, dihydrocodeine, oxycodone)
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have abnormal heartbeat or other heart problems
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, tumor), high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, seizures or epilepsy, or an overactive thyroid
- if you have or recently have had any head or brain injury, brain tumor, increased pressure in the brain, or infection of the brain or nervous system
- if you have a history of any lung or breathing problems, asthma, stomach problems, bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, or you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Naltrexone because it may decrease Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid's effectiveness
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), COMT inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid's side effects
- Cimetidine and sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, and seizures may be increased
- Digoxin and droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid:
Use Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while using Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid has phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid.
Possible side effects of Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness, excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid:
Store Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone/Phenylephrine Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levall 5.0 Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)