Hectorol CapsulesGeneric Name: Doxercalciferol
Hectorol Capsules are used for:
Lowering elevated parathyroid hormone levels in patients who have chronic kidney disease, including those undergoing kidney dialysis.
Hectorol Capsules are a synthetic form of vitamin D. It works by promoting the proper absorption and use of calcium and phosphate by the body, as well as normal bone development and maintenance. It also helps regulate parathyroid hormone levels and is involved in magnesium metabolism.
Do NOT use Hectorol Capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hectorol Capsules
- you have a tendency toward high calcium levels or evidence of vitamin D overdose (eg, weakness, headache, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, constipation, muscle pain, bone pain, metallic taste)
- you have high levels of calcium, phosphate, or vitamin D in your blood
- you are taking disulfiram or metronidazole
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hectorol Capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hectorol Capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have hardening of the arteries, heart problems, or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hectorol Capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cholestyramine, erythromycin, or ketoconazole because the effectiveness of Hectorol Capsules may be decreased
- Mineral oil because it may affect the absorption of Hectorol Capsules into the body
- Disulfiram or metronidazole because symptoms of alcohol intolerance, such as flushing, headache, fast heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, and trouble breathing, may occur
- Digoxin because risk of its side effects may be increased by Hectorol Capsules
- Phenobarbital or glutethimide because they may increase the risk of side effects of Hectorol Capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hectorol Capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hectorol Capsules:
Use Hectorol Capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Hectorol Capsules may be taken with or without food.
- Hectorol Capsules comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Hectorol Capsules refilled.
- Take Hectorol Capsules regularly to receive the most benefit from it.
- Do not take antacids containing magnesium while taking Hectorol Capsules.
- If you miss a dose of Hectorol Capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hectorol Capsules.
Important safety information:
- Hectorol Capsules may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Hectorol Capsules. Using Hectorol Capsules alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Check with your doctor before taking any medicine, including vitamins, containing vitamin D while you are taking Hectorol Capsules.
- Be sure to follow the diet and exercise program prescribed by your health care provider.
- LAB TESTS, including calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphate, and parathyroid hormone blood levels or urine calcium levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Hectorol Capsules are not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Hectorol Capsules during pregnancy. It is unknown if Hectorol Capsules are excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Hectorol Capsules.
Possible side effects of Hectorol Capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abscess; difficulty sleeping; general body discomfort; indigestion; joint pain; weight gain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; excessive thirst; excessive urination; headache; irregular heartbeat; itching; loss of appetite; metallic taste; muscle or bone pain; nausea; seizures; slow heartbeat; swelling; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include aches; constipation; depression; diarrhea; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; irregular heartbeat; loss of appetite; metallic taste; nausea; ringing in the ears; seizures; stiffness; vomiting; weakness; weight loss.Proper storage of Hectorol Capsules:
Store Hectorol Capsules at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Hectorol Capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hectorol Capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hectorol Capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Hectorol Capsules. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hectorol Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Hectorol Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Hectorol Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Doxercalciferol Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)