Iloprost Generic Name:
Iloprost (EYE-loe-prost)Brand Name:
Iloprost is used for:
Treating high blood pressure in the pulmonary arteries of the lungs in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
Iloprost is a form of prostacyclin. It is similar to a chemical in the body that widens (dilates) blood vessels, such as those in the arteries or lungs. Widening the blood vessels decreases high blood pressure.
Do NOT use Iloprost if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Iloprost
- you have certain lung problems (eg, chronic respiratory acidosis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Iloprost :
Some medical conditions may interact with Iloprost . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), severe asthma, or a lung infection
- if you have liver or kidney problems, low blood pressure, or blood clotting problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Iloprost . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antihypertensives (eg, verapamil, hydralazine) because additional reductions in blood pressure may occur
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or antiplatelet medicines (eg, aspirin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Iloprost
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Iloprost may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Iloprost :
Use Iloprost as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Iloprost . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Breathe Iloprost into your lungs. Do not allow Iloprost solution to come into contact with your skin or eyes. Wash thoroughly with water if you do get Iloprost on your skin or in your eyes.
- Do not swallow Iloprost .
- Use Iloprost with either the Prodose AAD System or the I-neb ADD System. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions for dispensing the medicine and operating and cleaning the equipment. Do not put other medicines into this equipment.
- Do not allow other people to be exposed to Iloprost while you are breathing it, especially children and pregnant women.
- Do not take a dose of Iloprost within 2 hours of your last dose. However, the benefits of Iloprost may not last 2 hours.
- After each inhalation session, any solution left in the medicine chamber should be discarded.
- If you miss a dose of Iloprost , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Iloprost .
Important safety information:
- Iloprost may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Iloprost with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- You may have a fall in blood pressure while using Iloprost and you may become dizzy or faint. Stand up slowly from a seated or lying position in a chair or bed. If fainting gets worse, contact your doctor. Your doctor may need to change your dose.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor. It is best to use Iloprost before increased physical exertion. Talk to your doctor about the best time(s) to use Iloprost .
- Iloprost may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Lab tests, including vital signs, may be performed while you use Iloprost . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Iloprost with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Iloprost is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Iloprost while you are pregnant. It is not known if Iloprost is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Iloprost . If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking Iloprost , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Iloprost :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Back pain; dizziness; flushing; headache; increased cough; jaw tightness; lightheadedness; muscle cramps; nausea; tongue pain; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bleeding gums; chest pain; coughing up blood; decreased urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; flu-like symptoms (eg, fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness); jaw spasms or pain; nosebleed; pounding in the chest; shortness of breath; swelling of the arms or legs; trouble opening your mouth; unusual sweating; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; fainting; flushing; severe dizziness; severe or persistent diarrhea, headache, nausea, or vomiting.Proper storage of Iloprost :
Store Iloprost at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Iloprost out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Iloprost , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Iloprost is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Iloprost . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Iloprost Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- iloprost Inhalation, oral/nebulization Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Ventavis Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ventavis Consumer Overview