Imodium A-D SolutionGeneric Name: Loperamide
Imodium A-D Solution is used for:
Treating symptoms of diarrhea (including traveler's diarrhea).
Imodium A-D Solution is an antidiarrheal agent. It works by slowing the movement of bowel contents.
Do NOT use Imodium A-D Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Imodium A-D Solution
- you have stomach pain without diarrhea
- you have constipation; stomach bloating; bloody stools; or dark, tarry stools.
- you are taking disulfiram or metronidazole
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Imodium A-D Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Imodium A-D Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bloody diarrhea; mucus in your stool; fever; bowel problems (eg, inflammation, blockage, enlarged colon); or diarrhea caused by food poisoning, antibiotic use, or bacterial infection.
- if you have AIDS or liver problems
- if you are taking an antibiotic
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Imodium A-D Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Disulfiram, furazolidone, or metronidazole because a severe reaction, including nausea, vomiting, flushing, and fast or irregular heartbeat, may occur
- Quinidine or ritonavir because they may increase the risk of Imodium A-D Solution's side effects
- Saquinavir because its effectiveness may be decreased by Imodium A-D Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Imodium A-D Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Imodium A-D Solution:
Use Imodium A-D Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Imodium A-D Solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use the measuring cup that comes with Imodium A-D Solution. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drinking extra fluids is recommended while you have diarrhea. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Imodium A-D Solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Imodium A-D Solution.
Important safety information:
- Imodium A-D Solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or tiredness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Imodium A-D Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 48 hours without checking with your doctor.
- If your diarrhea does not get better within 48 hours or if it gets worse, contact your doctor.
- If you develop a fever, stomach bloating or swelling, or blood in your stools, contact your doctor.
- Imodium A-D Solution is used to treat the symptoms of diarrhea, but will not treat the condition causing the diarrhea. Check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about the cause of your diarrhea.
- Diabetes patients - Imodium A-D Solution may contain sugar. Read the labelling carefully. If you are unsure if this product contains sugar, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Caution is advised when using Imodium A-D Solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dehydration.
- Do not use Imodium A-D Solution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without checking with the child's doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Imodium A-D Solution while you are pregnant. Imodium A-D Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Imodium A-D Solution.
Possible side effects of Imodium A-D Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported for with Imodium A-D Solution. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); constipation; decreased urination; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; stomach bloating, swelling, or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased urination; nausea; severe constipation or drowsiness; vomiting.Proper storage of Imodium A-D Solution:
Store Imodium A-D Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Imodium A-D Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Imodium A-D Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Imodium A-D Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Imodium A-D Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Imodium A-D Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Loperamide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Imodium Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Imodium Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Imodium Consumer Overview