Alprazolam Intensol SolutionGeneric Name: Alprazolam
Alprazolam Intensol Solution is used for:
Treating anxiety and panic disorder. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alprazolam Intensol Solution is a benzodiazepine. It works by slowing down the movement of chemicals in the brain. This results in a reduction in nervous tension (anxiety).
Do NOT use Alprazolam Intensol Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alprazolam Intensol Solution
- you have acute narrow-angle glaucoma, severe liver disease, or a mental state where contact with reality is lost (psychosis)
- you are taking an azole antifungal (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), delavirdine, or sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alprazolam Intensol Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have glaucoma or a predisposition for glaucoma, liver problems, lung problems or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), muscle problems, depression, suicidal tendencies, a blood disorder known as porphyria, or a history of substance abuse or dependence
- if you consume alcoholic beverages
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rifampin or St. John's wort because the effectiveness of Alprazolam Intensol Solution may be decreased
- Azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), cimetidine, clozapine, delavirdine, fluvoxamine, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), fluoxetine, macrolides and ketolides (eg, erythromycin, azithromycin), nefazodone, omeprazole, propoxyphene, sodium oxybate (GHB), or valproic acid because side effects such as increased sedation or heart problems may occur
- Clozapine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or valproic acid because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alprazolam Intensol Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alprazolam Intensol Solution:
Use Alprazolam Intensol Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Alprazolam Intensol Solution may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Measure the prescribed dose in the dropper provided with the medicine. Drop the dose into a liquid (water, juice, soda) or semisolid food (applesauce, pudding). Stir the liquid or food gently for a few seconds. Immediately drink all of the liquid or eat all of the food containing the medicine. Do not store the mixture for future use.
- Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while you are being treated with Alprazolam Intensol Solution.
- If you miss a dose of Alprazolam Intensol Solution and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alprazolam Intensol Solution.
Important safety information:
- Alprazolam Intensol Solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Using Alprazolam Intensol Solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Alprazolam Intensol Solution will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Do not smoke while using Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Cigarette smoking decreases blood levels of Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Tell your doctor if you smoke or if you have recently stopped smoking.
- Use Alprazolam Intensol Solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Alprazolam Intensol Solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Alprazolam Intensol Solution has been shown to cause harm to the human fetus. If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Alprazolam Intensol Solution during pregnancy. Alprazolam Intensol Solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Alprazolam Intensol Solution.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Alprazolam Intensol Solution may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Alprazolam Intensol Solution stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Alprazolam Intensol Solution may be habit-forming and lead to DEPENDENCE if used in high doses or for a long period of time. If you are on long-term or high dosage therapy, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms (eg, convulsions, tremor, stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, sweating) if you suddenly stop taking Alprazolam Intensol Solution. Do not stop therapy abruptly or change dosage without asking your pharmacist or doctor. Discuss overuse with your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects of Alprazolam Intensol Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Changes in appetite; changes in sexual desire; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; increased saliva production; lightheadedness; tiredness; trouble concentrating; unsteadiness; weight changes.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; decreased urination; fainting; hallucinations; loss of coordination; memory problems; menstrual changes; muscle twitching; new or worsening mental or mood problems (eg, depression, irritability, anxiety); overstimulation; red, swollen blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe dizziness; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; suicidal thoughts or actions; trouble speaking (eg, stammering, stuttering); yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include clumsiness; confusion; loss of consciousness; severe drowsiness or deep sleep; slow reflexes.Proper storage of Alprazolam Intensol Solution:
Store Alprazolam Intensol Solution at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alprazolam Intensol Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alprazolam Intensol Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alprazolam Intensol Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Alprazolam Intensol Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.