Ka-Pec LiquidGeneric Name: Attapulgite
Examples include Ka-Pec and Kao-Tin Advanced Formula
Ka-Pec Liquid is used for:
Treating diarrhea and cramping. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ka-Pec Liquid is an adsorbent. It works by adsorbing fluid, which helps to decrease the number of diarrhea stools.
Do NOT use Ka-Pec Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ka-Pec Liquid
- you have a fever, or if you have blood or mucus in your stool
- you are taking a citrate salt (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ka-Pec Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ka-Pec Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease or inflammation of the appendix (appendicitis)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ka-Pec Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Penicillamine or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Citrate salts because the risk of toxic effects from Ka-Pec Liquid may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ka-Pec Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ka-Pec Liquid:
Use Ka-Pec Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ka-Pec Liquid may be taken with or without food.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ka-Pec Liquid is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Ka-Pec Liquid with a full glass of water.
- Do not take Ka-Pec Liquid at the same time as a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, doxycycline). Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how to separate these medicines from your dose of Ka-Pec Liquid.
- If you miss a dose of Ka-Pec Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ka-Pec Liquid.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 48 hours or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor before using Ka-Pec Liquid if you have abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting.
- Do not use Ka-Pec Liquid in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age without first consulting a doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Ka-Pec Liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Ka-Pec Liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ka-Pec Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ka-Pec Liquid is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ka-Pec Liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ka-Pec Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ka-Pec Liquid:
Store Ka-Pec Liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Ka-Pec Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ka-Pec Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ka-Pec Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ka-Pec Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- attapulgite Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Donnagel Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information