Kayexalate PowderGeneric Name: Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate
(SOE-dee-um POL-ee-STYE-reen SUL-foe-nate)Brand Name:
Examples include Kayexalate and Kionex
Kayexalate Powder is used for:
Treating high potassium levels in the blood.
Kayexalate Powder is a potassium-removing resin. It works by drawing potassium into the large intestine and then removing it from the body.
Do NOT use Kayexalate Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kayexalate Powder
- you have low potassium levels in the blood or blockage of the bowel (obstructive bowel disease)
- you are taking magnesium hydroxide or sorbitol
- the patient is a newborn with decreased bowel activity
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kayexalate Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kayexalate Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swelling, congestive heart failure, or high blood pressure
- if you have kidney problems, dehydration, low blood volume, or abnormal blood electrolyte (eg, sodium, magnesium, calcium) levels
- if you are constipated, have bowel problems, or have a history of bowel surgery
- if the patient is a premature newborn
- if you are on a low-sodium (salt) diet or you are taking digoxin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kayexalate Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sorbitol because the risk of severe bowel problems (eg, bleeding, inflammation, tearing) may be increased
- Magnesium hydroxide because severe side effects (eg, seizures) may occur
- Aluminum hydroxide because bowel blockage may occur
- Lithium or thyroxine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Kayexalate Powder
How to use Kayexalate Powder:
Use Kayexalate Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Kayexalate Powder is usually given at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Kayexalate Powder at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Kayexalate Powder. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Kayexalate Powder can be taken orally, as an enema, or through a feeding tube, as directed by your doctor.
- Kayexalate Powder should be freshly prepared by mixing with water or syrup. Ask your doctor how much water or syrup you should use to mix Kayexalate Powder. Use the medicine within 24 hours after you mix it.
- Shake or mix well before each use.
- Do not heat Kayexalate Powder. It may not work as well.
- If you take antacids or laxatives, ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with Kayexalate Powder. Do not take magnesium hydroxide with Kayexalate Powder.
- Check with your doctor about what you should do if you miss a dose of Kayexalate Powder.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kayexalate Powder.
Important safety information:
- Follow the dietary plan provided by your doctor. Avoid eating or drinking anything that contains the sweetener sorbitol.
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Lab tests, including blood potassium and other blood electrolyte levels and electrocardiograms (ECG), may be performed while you use Kayexalate Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Kayexalate Powder with caution in CHILDREN and in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially bowel problems.
- Kayexalate Powder should not be used by mouth in NEWBORNS; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Kayexalate Powder can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Kayexalate Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Kayexalate Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Kayexalate Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kayexalate Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Appetite loss; constipation; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; change in emotions, mood, or behavior; confusion; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; muscle cramps or weakness; seizures; severe or persistent constipation; severe or watery diarrhea; stomach pain; swelling of the feet or hands; swelling of the stomach; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; irregular heartbeat; irritability; muscle weakness or paralysis; trouble breathing; or trouble thinking or concentrating.Proper storage of Kayexalate Powder:
Store Kayexalate Powder at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Kayexalate Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kayexalate Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kayexalate Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Kayexalate Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kayexalate Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Kayexalate Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Kayexalate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Kionex Prescribing Information (FDA)