KGS-PE LiquidGeneric Name: Phenylephrine/Potassium Guaiacolsulfonate
(fen-ill-EF-rin/poe-TASS-ee-uhm gwie-ah-kole-SULL-foe-nate)Brand Name:
KGS-PE Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
KGS-PE Liquid is a decongestant and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and shrinking swollen and congested nasal tissues (mucous membranes) and by thinning and loosening mucus in the airway. This allows you to breathe more easily and makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use KGS-PE Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in KGS-PE Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, a rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using KGS-PE Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with KGS-PE Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
- if you have chronic cough
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with KGS-PE Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of KGS-PE Liquid may be increased
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because side effects may be increased by KGS-PE Liquid
- Guanethidine, guanadrel, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because effectiveness may be decreased by KGS-PE Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if KGS-PE Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use KGS-PE Liquid:
Use KGS-PE Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- KGS-PE Liquid may be taken with or without food.
- Take KGS-PE Liquid with a full glass of water unless your doctor directs otherwise.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of KGS-PE Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use KGS-PE Liquid.
Important safety information:
- KGS-PE Liquid may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to KGS-PE Liquid. Using KGS-PE Liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking KGS-PE Liquid without checking with you doctor.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or use/take KGS-PE Liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- KGS-PE Liquid contains phenylephrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains phenylephrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- KGS-PE Liquid may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure that all of your doctors and lab personnel know that you are taking KGS-PE Liquid.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using KGS-PE Liquid.
- Use KGS-PE Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using KGS-PE Liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking KGS-PE Liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using KGS-PE Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if KGS-PE Liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking KGS-PE Liquid.
Possible side effects of KGS-PE Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of KGS-PE Liquid:
Store KGS-PE Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep KGS-PE Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about KGS-PE Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- KGS-PE Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about KGS-PE Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.