L-Methylfolate Generic Name:
L-Methylfolate (METH-ill-FOH-late)Brand Name:
L-Methylfolate is used for:
Dietary management of low plasma or low red blood cell folate in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
L-Methylfolate is a medical food. It works by providing the body with folate.
Do NOT use L-Methylfolate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in L-Methylfolate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using L-Methylfolate :
Some medical conditions may interact with L-Methylfolate . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia or low levels of vitamin B12 in the blood
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with L-Methylfolate . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cholestyramine, colchicine, colestipol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), or sulfasalazine because they may decrease L-Methylfolate 's effectiveness
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by L-Methylfolate
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), primidone, or valproic acid because they may decrease L-Methylfolate 's effectiveness; their effectiveness may also be decreased by L-Methylfolate
- Pyrimethamine because its effectiveness may be decreased by L-Methylfolate
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if L-Methylfolate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use L-Methylfolate :
Use L-Methylfolate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take L-Methylfolate by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of L-Methylfolate , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use L-Methylfolate .
Important safety information:
- Lab tests, including blood counts, may be performed while you use L-Methylfolate . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- L-Methylfolate should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if L-Methylfolate can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using L-Methylfolate while you are pregnant. L-Methylfolate is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use L-Methylfolate , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of L-Methylfolate :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with L-Methylfolate . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of L-Methylfolate :
Store L-Methylfolate at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in original container until just before use. Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep L-Methylfolate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about L-Methylfolate , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- L-Methylfolate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about L-Methylfolate . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- l-methylfolate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)