Lamisil Oral Granules Generic Name: Terbinafine
Lamisil Oral Granules
Lamisil Oral Granules is used for:
Treating a type of fungal infection of the scalp (tinea capitis).
Lamisil Oral Granules is an antifungal agent. It works by killing sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Lamisil Oral Granules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lamisil Oral Granules
- you have liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lamisil Oral Granules :
Some medical conditions may interact with Lamisil Oral Granules . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems, lupus, psoriasis, or a weakened immune system
- if you have a history of liver problems or alcohol use
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lamisil Oral Granules . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine because it may increase the risk of Lamisil Oral Granules 's side effects
- Rifampin because it may decrease Lamisil Oral Granules 's effectiveness
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), monoamine oxidase type B (MAO-B) inhibitors (eg, selegiline), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Lamisil Oral Granules
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their effectiveness may be decreased or the risk of their side effects may be increased by Lamisil Oral Granules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lamisil Oral Granules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lamisil Oral Granules :
Use Lamisil Oral Granules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Lamisil Oral Granules . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Lamisil Oral Granules by mouth with food.
- Hold the packet with the cut line on top and shake it gently to settle the contents. Open the packet by tearing along the cut line (or using scissors to cut across the line).
- Sprinkle all of the medicine from the packet over a spoonful of soft, non-acidic food (eg, pudding, mashed potatoes). Do not use applesauce or a fruit-based food.
- Mix the medicine with the food and swallow the mixture right away. Do not crush or chew the medicine before swallowing. Do not store the mixture for future use.
- If 2 packets are needed for your dose, you may mix the contents of 2 packets with 1 spoonful of food. You may also mix each packet separately on its own spoonful of food.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Lamisil Oral Granules for the full course of treatment (usually 6 weeks). Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Lamisil Oral Granules , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lamisil Oral Granules .
Important safety information:
- Lamisil Oral Granules only works against fungal infections; it does not treat bacterial or viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Avoid large amounts of food or drink that have caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate) while you are taking Lamisil Oral Granules .
- Lamisil Oral Granules may sometimes cause taste changes or a loss of taste. Tell your doctor right away if this happens.
- Lab tests, such as liver function or complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Lamisil Oral Granules . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Lamisil Oral Granules should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Lamisil Oral Granules if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Lamisil Oral Granules is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Lamisil Oral Granules .
Possible side effects of Lamisil Oral Granules :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; headache; indigestion; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); red, blistered, peeling, or swollen skin; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, decreased appetite, pale stools, persistent nausea, stomach pain, unusual tiredness or weakness, vomiting, yellowing of the skin or eyes); unexpected weight loss; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; frequent urination; nausea; rash; severe or persistent headache; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of Lamisil Oral Granules :
Store Lamisil Oral Granules at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lamisil Oral Granules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lamisil Oral Granules , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lamisil Oral Granules is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Lamisil Oral Granules . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.