Lansoprazole Powder PacketGeneric Name:
Lansoprazole (lan-SOE-pra-zole)Brand Name:
Lansoprazole Powder Packet is used for:
Preventing or treating certain types of ulcers. It is also used to treat symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) (eg, heartburn) and irritation of the esophagus. It is also used to treat conditions that cause your body to make too much stomach acid (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lansoprazole Powder Packet is a proton pump inhibitor. It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Do NOT use Lansoprazole Powder Packet if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lansoprazole Powder Packet
- you are taking an HIV protease inhibitor (eg, atazanavir)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lansoprazole Powder Packet:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lansoprazole Powder Packet. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems or stomach or bowel cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lansoprazole Powder Packet. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Clarithromycin or voriconazole because they may increase the risk of Lansoprazole Powder Packet's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or digoxin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Lansoprazole Powder Packet
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), clopidogrel, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, atazanavir), iron, or theophylline because their effectiveness may be decreased by Lansoprazole Powder Packet
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lansoprazole Powder Packet may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lansoprazole Powder Packet:
Use Lansoprazole Powder Packet as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Lansoprazole Powder Packet by mouth on an empty stomach before eating.
- Place 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of water in a small cup. Do NOT use other liquids or foods. Empty the contents of the packet into the cup, stir well, and drink at once. Do not store the mixture for use at a later time. If any of the mixture remains in the cup, refill with water, stir, and drink at once.
- You may take antacids while you are using Lansoprazole Powder Packet if you are directed to do so by your doctor.
- If you are also taking an imidazole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), take it at least 2 hours before taking Lansoprazole Powder Packet.
- If you also take sucralfate, take Lansoprazole Powder Packet at least 30 minutes before taking sucralfate.
- Do not take Lansoprazole Powder Packet through an enteral tube (eg, g-tube, ng-tube). If you must take your medicines through an enteral tube, discuss your dosing options with your doctor.
- Continue to take Lansoprazole Powder Packet even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Lansoprazole Powder Packet, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lansoprazole Powder Packet.
Important safety information:
- Lansoprazole Powder Packet may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Lansoprazole Powder Packet with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Contact your doctor if you have any symptoms of a bleeding ulcer, such as black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; or if you experience throat pain, chest pain, severe stomach pain, or trouble swallowing.
- Lansoprazole Powder Packet may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Lansoprazole Powder Packet.
- Lansoprazole Powder Packet should be used with caution in Asian patients; the risk of side effects may be increased in these patients.
- Lansoprazole Powder Packet should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lansoprazole Powder Packet while you are pregnant. It is not known if Lansoprazole Powder Packet is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Lansoprazole Powder Packet.
Possible side effects of Lansoprazole Powder Packet:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; headache; nausea; stomach pain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizure; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Lansoprazole Powder Packet:
Store Lansoprazole Powder Packet at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lansoprazole Powder Packet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lansoprazole Powder Packet, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lansoprazole Powder Packet is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Lansoprazole Powder Packet. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.