Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone SuspensionGeneric Name:
Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone (a-LOO-min-uhm/mag-NEE-zee-uhm/si-METH-i-kone)Brand Name:
Examples include Di-Gel Liquid and Mylanta
Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension is used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, gas, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension is an antacid and antiflatulent. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach. It also causes the gas produced by some foods to remain dissolved, allowing it to be passed through the system more comfortably.
Do NOT use Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension
- you are also taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease, kidney problems, appendicitis, diarrhea, a stomach blockage, or an ileostomy
- if you have recently had stomach bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) and citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives) because they may increase the actions and the risk of Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), quinidine, or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, delavirdine, digoxin, imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension, especially when taken at the same time as Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension:
Use Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not use Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension within 2 hours before or after taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonate (eg, risedronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone), delavirdine, digoxin, imidazole (eg, ketoconazole), penicillamine, or sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension.
- If you miss a dose of Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take the maximum dose for longer than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, or if you experience black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, check with your doctor.
- Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension has aluminum and magnesium in it. Before you begin taking any new prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read the ingredients to see has aluminum or magnesium in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension:
Store Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Aluminum/Magnesium/Simethicone Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.