Leukeran Generic Name: Chlorambucil
Leukeran can cause suppressed bone marrow function, other cancers, birth defects, and infertility.
Leukeran is used for:
Treating certain cancers. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Leukeran is an alkylating agent. It works by binding to the RNA or DNA of certain cancer cells, which helps to slow down their growth and reproduction.
Do NOT use Leukeran if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Leukeran
- you are in the first trimester of pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Leukeran :
Some medical conditions may interact with Leukeran . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substance
- if you are receiving or have recently completed radiation therapy, suffer from bone marrow depression, have decreased white blood counts or decreased blood platelets, an infection, shingles, chickenpox, or the blood disease porphyria
- if you have had an allergic reaction to any other alkylating agent (eg, cyclophosphamide)
- if you have kidney disease, or a history of seizures or head trauma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Leukeran . However, no specific interactions with Leukeran are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Leukeran may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Leukeran :
Use Leukeran as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Leukeran may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Leukeran works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Leukeran is recommended.
- If you miss a dose of Leukeran and take 1 dose daily, take the missed dose if you remember the same day. Skip the dose if you do not remember until the next day. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Leukeran .
Important safety information:
- Leukeran may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Leukeran . Using Leukeran alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- Leukeran may reduce the number of blood cells that are needed for clotting. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations where bruising or injury may occur.
- Leukeran may lower your body's ability to fight infection. To prevent infection, avoid contact with people who have colds or other infections. Do not touch your eyes or the inside of your nose unless you have thoroughly washed you hands first.
- The use of birth control is recommended while you are taking Leukeran .
- Check with your doctor before having immunizations (vaccinations) while you are using Leukeran .
- LAB TESTS, such as complete blood counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Leukeran with caution in CHILDREN with kidney disease. They may have an increased risk of seizures.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Leukeran has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while taking Leukeran . If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Leukeran during pregnancy. It is unknown if Leukeran is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Leukeran .
Possible side effects of Leukeran :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Agitation; clumsiness; confusion; diarrhea; tingling or numbness in the hands and feet; tiredness; tremors; twitching.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); absence of monthly period; chills; congestion; excessive tiredness; fever; hallucinations; hip, stomach, or joint pain; infertility; nausea; persistent cough; seizures; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; sore throat; sores in the mouth or on the lips; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual lumps or masses; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; dizziness; impaired coordination; seizures.Proper storage of Leukeran :
Store Leukeran in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Keep Leukeran out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Leukeran , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Leukeran is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Leukeran . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Leukeran Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Leukeran Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Leukeran Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Chlorambucil Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)