Alupent SyrupGeneric Name: Metaproterenol
Alupent Syrup is used for:
Treating or preventing symptoms of asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, and other reversible breathing problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alupent Syrup is a beta-adrenergic agonist bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the smooth muscle in the airways, allowing air to flow in and out of the lungs more easily.
Do NOT use Alupent Syrup if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alupent Syrup
- you have had an unexpected reaction to another sympathomimetic (eg, albuterol, pseudoephedrine)
- you have a fast heartbeat
- you are taking another beta-adrenergic bronchodilator (eg, albuterol) or droxidopa
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alupent Syrup:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alupent Syrup. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, food, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure) or high blood pressure
- if you have a history of seizures (eg, epilepsy), diabetes, an overactive thyroid, or have an adrenal gland tumor (eg, pheochromocytoma)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alupent Syrup. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the effectiveness of Alupent Syrup may be decreased
- Beta-adrenergic bronchodilators (eg, albuterol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sympathomimetics (eg, pseudoephedrine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects may be increased by Alupent Syrup
- Droxidopa because the risk of side effects, such as irregular heartbeat or heart attack, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alupent Syrup may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alupent Syrup:
Use Alupent Syrup as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Alupent Syrup may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Alupent Syrup, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alupent Syrup.
Important safety information:
- Alupent Syrup may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Alupent Syrup. Using Alupent Syrup alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Alupent Syrup for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If the asthma attack continues or worsens, contact your doctor.
- If the usual dose fails to provide relief or if you need to take it more often than normal, contact your doctor at once. This may be a sign of seriously worsening asthma, which may require changing your medication.
- Contact your health care provider about taking other asthma or inhaled medications while taking Alupent Syrup.
- LAB TESTS, including lung function, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Alupent Syrup with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Alupent Syrup in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Alupent Syrup during pregnancy. It is unknown if Alupent Syrup is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while using Alupent Syrup, contact your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Alupent Syrup:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Difficulty sleeping; dizziness; headache; hyperactivity; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; increased difficulty breathing; itching; pounding in the chest; severe or persistent dizziness; swelling; tremors; wheezing; worsened asthma symptoms.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent nervousness, headache, nausea, dizziness, or trouble sleeping.Proper storage of Alupent Syrup:
Store Alupent Syrup at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alupent Syrup out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alupent Syrup, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alupent Syrup is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Alupent Syrup. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alupent Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Alupent Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Alupent Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Alupent Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Metaproterenol tablets Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Metaproterenol Prescribing Information (FDA)