Levothyroxine SolutionGeneric Name:
Levothyroxine (LEE-voe-thye-ROX-een)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Do not use Levothyroxine Solution alone or with other medicines to treat obesity or to lose weight. Incorrect use of Levothyroxine Solution may cause serious and sometimes fatal side effects.
Levothyroxine Solution is used for:
Treating low thyroid hormone levels. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Levothyroxine Solution is a thyroid hormone. It works by replacing thyroid hormone when your body does not make enough on its own.
Do NOT use Levothyroxine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Levothyroxine Solution
- you have untreated adrenal gland problems or high thyroid hormone levels
- you have had a recent heart attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Levothyroxine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Levothyroxine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart or blood vessel problems (eg, coronary artery disease), high blood pressure, blood clotting or bleeding problems, pernicious anemia, diabetes, bone problems (eg, osteoporosis), fertility problems, pituitary problems, adrenal gland problems, or other thyroid problems
- if you have had a recent surgery or have an upcoming surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Levothyroxine Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for infections, inflammation, aches and pains, nasal congestion, asthma, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, blood thinning, mental or mood problems, depression, diabetes, other thyroid problems, high cholesterol, hepatitis, weight loss, heartburn, birth control, hormone replacement therapy, growth hormone deficiency, cancer, seizures), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, herbal teas, coenzyme Q10, garlic, ginseng, gingko, St. John's wort) may interact with Levothyroxine Solution, increasing the risk of side effects or decreasing effectiveness.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Levothyroxine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Levothyroxine Solution:
Use Levothyroxine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Levothyroxine Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Levothyroxine Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Levothyroxine Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Levothyroxine Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Always carefully check that you have drawn up the correct dose before administration.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- Levothyroxine Solution works best if you use it at the same time each day.
- Continue to use Levothyroxine Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- It may take several weeks before you notice an improvement in your symptoms. Do not stop or change your dose of Levothyroxine Solution without first checking with your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Levothyroxine Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Levothyroxine Solution.
Important safety information:
- It is important that you use Levothyroxine Solution exactly as prescribed. Do not use more than the prescribed dose without first checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Levothyroxine Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Levothyroxine Solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Mild hair loss may rarely occur during the first few months of treatment with Levothyroxine Solution. This is usually temporary. Contact your doctor if hair loss is severe or persistent.
- Lab tests, including thyroid hormone level and growth checks, may be performed while you use Levothyroxine Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Some brands of Levothyroxine Solution may have benzyl alcohol in it. Do not use in NEWBORNS or INFANTS. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects. If it does or you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use Levothyroxine Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially heart problems.
- CHILDREN and teenagers may need regular growth checks while they use Levothyroxine Solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. Your doctor may need to change your dose of Levothyroxine Solution. Levothyroxine Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Levothyroxine Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Levothyroxine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the use of Levothyroxine Solution. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; flushing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); change in appetite; changes in menstrual period; chest pain; diarrhea; excessive sweating; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; headache; heat intolerance; joint pain; leg cramps; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, irritability, nervousness); muscle weakness; seizures; severe or persistent headache or fatigue; shortness of breath; stomach cramps; tremor; trouble sleeping; unusual weight gain or weight loss; vomiting; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; confusion; disorientation; seizures.Proper storage of Levothyroxine Solution:
Store Levothyroxine Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from heat, moisture, and light. Throw away any unused portion. Keep Levothyroxine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Levothyroxine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levothyroxine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Levothyroxine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levothyroxine Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Levothyroxine Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- levothyroxine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Levothroid Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Levoxyl Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Levoxyl Consumer Overview
- Synthroid Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Synthroid Consumer Overview
- Tirosint Prescribing Information (FDA)