AmBisome Generic Name: Amphotericin B Liposome
(am-foe-TER-ih-sin B)Brand Name:
AmBisome is used for:
Treating fungal infection in certain patients, including patients who cannot use other forms of AmBisome . It is used to treat cryptococcal meningitis in HIV patients and to treat certain protozoal infections (visceral leishmaniasis). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
AmBisome is an antifungal antibiotic. It works by killing the fungus and preventing its reproduction.
Do NOT use AmBisome if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in AmBisome (including soy)
- you are taking an azole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using AmBisome :
Some medical conditions may interact with AmBisome . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with AmBisome . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole) because the effectiveness of AmBisome may be decreased
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics (eg, gentamicin), antineoplastic medicines (eg, cisplatin), cyclosporine, or pentamidine because side effects, such as kidney problems, may occur
- Leukocyte transfusions because side effects, such as lung problems, may occur
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) or corticotropin because side effects, such as heart problems, may occur
- Digoxin, flucytosine, skeletal muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine), or zidovudine because side effects and toxic effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if AmBisome may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use AmBisome :
Use AmBisome as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- AmBisome is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using AmBisome at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If AmBisome contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using AmBisome for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of AmBisome , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use AmBisome .
Important safety information:
- AmBisome may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to AmBisome . Using AmBisome alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- It is important to use AmBisome for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of AmBisome and may increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to AmBisome and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- To reduce side effects, your doctor may prescribe other medicines before the administration of AmBisome .
- LAB TESTS, including kidney function, liver function, blood counts, and serum electrolytes, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use AmBisome with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 1 month of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking AmBisome , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using AmBisome during pregnancy. It is unknown if AmBisome is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking AmBisome .
Possible side effects of AmBisome :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Chills; coughing; fever; headache; loss of appetite; muscle or joint pain; nausea; rapid heartbeat; sleeplessness; stomach pain; weight loss.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the urine; chest pain; convulsions; dark, bloody stools; decreased urination; diarrhea; dizziness; easy bruising or bleeding; fast breathing; fast or irregular heartbeat; hearing loss; pain, redness, or inflammation at the injection site; swelling of the hands or feet; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; yellowing of eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of AmBisome :
Store unused vials of AmBisome at room temperature, up to 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). After mixing, follow the storage instructions provided by your doctor or other health care provider. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep AmBisome out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about AmBisome , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- AmBisome is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about AmBisome . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- AmBisome Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ambisome Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Ambisome Consumer Overview