Americaine Otic DropsGeneric Name: Benzocaine
Examples include Americaine Otic and Otocain
Americaine Otic Drops are used for:
Relieving pain and itching in the ear caused by ear infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Americaine Otic Drops are a local anesthetic. It works by reducing pain and discomfort in the ear.
Do NOT use Americaine Otic Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Americaine Otic Drops or to similar medicines (eg, lidocaine)
- your eardrum is perforated
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Americaine Otic Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Americaine Otic Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Americaine Otic Drops. However, no specific interactions with Americaine Otic Drops are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Americaine Otic Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Americaine Otic Drops:
Use Americaine Otic Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- For topical use in the ear canal only. Do not get Americaine Otic Drops in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Americaine Otic Drops in your eyes, rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- To use ear drops, lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. Moisten a clean cotton plug with Americaine Otic Drops and gently insert into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating the medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Do not rinse dropper after use. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If Americaine Otic Drops are brown or contains particles, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Americaine Otic Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Americaine Otic Drops.
Important safety information:
- Americaine Otic Drops will not cure an ear infection. It is used to relieve symptoms.
- Overuse of Americaine Otic Drops may hide the symptoms of an ear infection. Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Americaine Otic Drops for longer than prescribed without first checking with your doctor.
- Americaine Otic Drops may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Americaine Otic Drops by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Americaine Otic Drops can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Americaine Otic Drops, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Americaine Otic Drops during pregnancy. It is unknown if Americaine Otic Drops are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Americaine Otic Drops, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Americaine Otic Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, stinging, tenderness, redness, swelling, or irritation not present when you began using Americaine Otic Drops; ear discharge.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Americaine Otic Drops:
Store Americaine Otic Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Protect from freezing. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Americaine Otic Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Americaine Otic Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Americaine Otic Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Americaine Otic Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- benzocaine otic Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Benzotic Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information