Lusonal LiquidGeneric Name: Phenylephrine
Lusonal Liquid is used for:
Relieving congestion due to colds, flu, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lusonal Liquid is a decongestant. It works by reducing swelling and constricting blood vessels in the nasal passages, allowing you to breathe more easily.
Do NOT use Lusonal Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lusonal Liquid
- you are taking furazolidone or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) in the last 14 days
- you have high blood pressure or an abnormally fast heartbeat
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lusonal Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lusonal Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart disease, diabetes, phenylketonuria (PKU), an adrenal gland tumor, or thyroid disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lusonal Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine) or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the effectiveness of Lusonal Liquid may be decreased
- Cocaine, furazolidone, methyldopa, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), oxytocic medicines (eg, oxytocin), rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the actions and side effects of Lusonal Liquid may be increased
- Bromocriptine, catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), or droxidopa because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Guanethidine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Lusonal Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lusonal Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lusonal Liquid:
Use Lusonal Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Lusonal Liquid with food, water, or milk to minimize stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Lusonal Liquid and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lusonal Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Lusonal Liquid may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Lusonal Liquid. Using Lusonal Liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if you develop a high fever, check with your doctor.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your pharmacist or doctor about the best time to take Lusonal Liquid.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Lusonal Liquid.
- Phenylketonuria patients - Lusonal Liquid may contain phenylalanine.
- Diabetes patients - Lusonal Liquid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Use Lusonal Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Lusonal Liquid with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Lusonal Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Lusonal Liquid is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Lusonal Liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Lusonal Liquid. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you are addicted and suddenly stop taking Lusonal Liquid, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms, including depression.
Possible side effects of Lusonal Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Difficulty urinating; dizziness; headache; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; sleeplessness; stomach irritation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; hallucinations; irregular or unusually slow or rapid heartbeat; rapid breathing; seizures.Proper storage of Lusonal Liquid:
Store Lusonal Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lusonal Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lusonal Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lusonal Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Lusonal Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Synephrine Nasal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Sudafed PE Consumer Overview