Lutropin Alfa Generic Name:
Lutropin Alfa (LOO-troe-pin AL-fa)Brand Name:
Lutropin Alfa is used for:
Stimulating ovulation in certain women who want to become pregnant.
Lutropin Alfa is a fertility medicine. It works like human pituitary luteinizing hormone to stimulate certain cells to produce estradiol, which helps cause ovulation.
Do NOT use Lutropin Alfa if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lutropin Alfa
- you have a history of certain problems with your ovaries (eg, primary ovarian failure, growths in the ovary, unusual growth of the ovary)
- you have uncontrolled thyroid problems, uncontrolled adrenal gland problems, growths in the brain (eg, pituitary tumor), or uterine bleeding of unknown cause
- you have certain tumors of the reproductive tract or organs or certain estrogen-dependent tumors
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lutropin Alfa :
Some medical conditions may interact with Lutropin Alfa . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of thyroid problems, adrenal gland problems, unusual vaginal bleeding, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, or tumors
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lutropin Alfa . However, no specific interactions with Lutropin Alfa are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lutropin Alfa may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lutropin Alfa :
Use Lutropin Alfa as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lutropin Alfa is usually given in combination with another medicine called follitropin alfa.
- Lutropin Alfa comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Lutropin Alfa refilled.
- Lutropin Alfa is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Lutropin Alfa at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Lutropin Alfa contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before mixing.
- When drawing a dose into the syringe, be sure to follow the procedure demonstrated to you to prevent contamination of the vial, syringe, or medicine. Never touch the rubber stopper of the vial or the needle of the syringe with your fingers.
- Carefully check that you have drawn the correct dose before administration.
- Gently rotate the vial between your fingers to mix Lutropin Alfa . Do not shake.
- Use Lutropin Alfa immediately after mixing. Discard any unused medicine.
- Use Lutropin Alfa regularly to receive the most benefit from it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Lutropin Alfa , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lutropin Alfa .
Important safety information:
- Because of the risk of severe side effects, such as ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, a health care provider will monitor you for at least 2 weeks after you use Lutropin Alfa .
- Lutropin Alfa may cause a pregnancy with multiple fetuses (eg, twins, triplets). Talk with your doctor to discuss your chances of multiple births.
- LAB TESTS and medical tests, including a physical examination, blood hormone levels, ovarian ultrasounds, and liver function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Lutropin Alfa with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Lutropin Alfa is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Lutropin Alfa if you are pregnant. If you suspect that you could be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. It is unknown if Lutropin Alfa is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Lutropin Alfa , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lutropin Alfa :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; gas; headache; nausea; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; tiredness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); breast pain; decrease in the amount of urine produced; pain, tenderness, redness, or swelling of the leg; severe pelvic pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; shortness of breath; stomach pain or swelling; unexplained weight gain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Lutropin Alfa :
Lutropin Alfa is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Lutropin Alfa at home, store Lutropin Alfa as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Lutropin Alfa out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lutropin Alfa , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lutropin Alfa is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Lutropin Alfa . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lutropin Alfa Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- lutropin alfa Subcutaneous Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Luveris Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Luveris Consumer Overview