Luxiq FoamGeneric Name: Betamethasone Valerate
(bay-ta-METH-a-sone VAL-eh-rate)Brand Name:
Luxiq Foam is used for:
Reducing itching, redness, and swelling associated with skin conditions of the scalp. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Luxiq Foam is a topical corticosteroid. It works by depressing the formation, release, and activity of different cells and chemicals that cause swelling, redness, and itching.
Do NOT use Luxiq Foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Luxiq Foam or to another corticosteroid (eg, prednisone)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Luxiq Foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with Luxiq Foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have thinning of the skin, a skin infection, tuberculosis, chickenpox, shingles, measles, a positive TB skin test, or have recently been vaccinated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Luxiq Foam. Because little, if any, of Luxiq Foam is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Luxiq Foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Luxiq Foam:
Use Luxiq Foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Luxiq Foam. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Before using for the first time, break the tiny plastic piece at the base of the can's rim by gently pushing back (away from the piece) on the nozzle.
- Turn the can upside down and dispense a small amount of Luxiq Foam onto a clean saucer or other cool, clean surface. Do not dispense directly onto your hands because the foam will begin to melt immediately upon contact with warm skin.
- Pick up small amounts of foam with fingers and gently massage into the affected area until foam disappears. Repeat until entire affected area has been treated. Use only enough to cover the entire affected area.
- When applying, move the hair away so that the foam can be applied directly to the affected skin.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Luxiq Foam.
- Throw away any unused medicine that has been dispensed from the container.
- Do not wash or rinse the treated areas immediately after applying Luxiq Foam.
- Do not cover the treating area with bandages, wrappings, or other dressings unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Luxiq Foam, apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Luxiq Foam.
Important safety information:
- Luxiq Foam is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes. If you get Luxiq Foam in your eyes, immediately flush with cool tap water.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Luxiq Foam for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Luxiq Foam has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Check with your doctor before you have any vaccinations while you are using Luxiq Foam.
- Luxiq Foam is flammable. Do not store or use near a fire or other open flame, or while you are smoking.
- Dispose of empty containers as directed on the container or by your health care provider. Do not puncture or burn container even if it appears to be empty.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Luxiq Foam.
- Luxiq Foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Luxiq Foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if Luxiq Foam is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Luxiq Foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Luxiq Foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry skin; mild, temporary stinging when applied.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Luxiq Foam; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Luxiq Foam:
Store Luxiq Foam between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep Luxiq Foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Luxiq Foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Luxiq Foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Luxiq Foam. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Luxiq Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Luxiq Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Luxiq Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Alphatrex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Diprolene Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Diprolene Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Diprolene AF Prescribing Information (FDA)