Megace ES SuspensionGeneric Name: Megestrol
Megace ES Suspension is used for:
Treating loss of appetite and weight loss in certain patients. It is also used to treat unexplained, significant weight loss in patients who have AIDS. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Megace ES Suspension is a progesterone hormone. Exactly how it works to treat loss of appetite and weight loss is unknown.
Do NOT use Megace ES Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Megace ES Suspension
- you are pregnant or suspect that you could be pregnant
- you have undiagnosed vaginal bleeding or a history of blood clotting problems (eg, blood clots in the lungs or legs) or stroke
- you are taking dofetilide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Megace ES Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Megace ES Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have adrenal gland problems, diabetes, or cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Megace ES Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rifampin because it may decrease Megace ES Suspension's effectiveness
- Dofetilide because the risk of heart problems, including irregular heartbeat, may be increased
- Indinavir because its effectiveness may be decreased by Megace ES Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Megace ES Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Megace ES Suspension:
Use Megace ES Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Megace ES Suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use the measuring device that comes with Megace ES Suspension to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Megace ES Suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If more than one dose is missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Megace ES Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Megace ES Suspension may reduce the amount of natural steroid your body makes. This may occur while you take the medicine or after you stop taking it. Tell your doctor right away if you notice symptoms such as unusual weakness, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting. You may need to take a corticosteroid (eg, prednisone), especially if you experience a period of physical stress (eg, major infection, surgery, injury).
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Megace ES Suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Megace ES Suspension is not intended for use in the prevention of weight loss.
- Megace ES Suspension may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Diabetes patients - Megace ES Suspension may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Megace ES Suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Women who may become pregnant should use a nonhormonal form of birth control (eg, condoms) while they use Megace ES Suspension.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Megace ES Suspension if you are pregnant. It may cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Megace ES Suspension is found in the breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Megace ES Suspension.
Possible side effects of Megace ES Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Difficulty sleeping; gas; headache; indigestion.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf pain or tenderness; chest pain; coughing up blood; decreased sexual desire or ability; depression; dizziness; increased appetite, thirst, or urination; irregular heartbeat; leg pain; menstrual changes; muscle weakness; nausea; seizures; shortness of breath; signs of infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); swelling of the ankles or fingers; unexplained vaginal bleeding; unusual thoughts; unusual weight gain in the face; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Megace ES Suspension:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Megace ES Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Megace ES Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Megace ES Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Megace ES Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Megace ES Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Megace ES Consumer Overview
- Megace ES Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Megace ES Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Megestrol Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Megace Prescribing Information (FDA)