Amlodipine/Valsartan Generic Name:
Amlodipine/Valsartan (am-LOE-di-peen/val-SAR-tan)Brand Name:
Amlodipine/Valsartan may cause birth defects or fetal and newborn death if you take it while you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away.
Amlodipine/Valsartan is used for:
Treating high blood pressure. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Amlodipine/Valsartan is a calcium channel blocker and angiotensin II receptor blocker combination. It works by relaxing the blood vessels.
Do NOT use Amlodipine/Valsartan if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Amlodipine/Valsartan
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Amlodipine/Valsartan :
Some medical conditions may interact with Amlodipine/Valsartan . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are a woman of childbearing age
- if you are dehydrated, have low blood volume or low blood sodium levels, or are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you have gallbladder, liver, or kidney problems; low blood pressure; blood vessel problems; or heart problems (eg, angina, heart failure, narrowing of heart blood vessels)
- if you have a history of stroke or heart attack
- if you are on dialysis or will be having surgery
- if you are taking another medicine for blood pressure or heart problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Amlodipine/Valsartan . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) or sildenafil because the risk of low blood pressure may be increased
- Potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) or potassium supplements because high blood potassium levels may occur
- Antifungals (eg, itraconazole), conivaptan, or protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir) because they may increase the risk of Amlodipine/Valsartan 's side effects
- Lithium because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Amlodipine/Valsartan
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Amlodipine/Valsartan may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Amlodipine/Valsartan :
Use Amlodipine/Valsartan as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Amlodipine/Valsartan . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Amlodipine/Valsartan by mouth with or without food.
- Take Amlodipine/Valsartan on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Amlodipine/Valsartan at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Amlodipine/Valsartan , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Amlodipine/Valsartan .
Important safety information:
- Amlodipine/Valsartan may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Amlodipine/Valsartan with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Amlodipine/Valsartan may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- If vomiting, diarrhea, or excessive sweating occur, you will need to take care not to become dehydrated. This could increase your risk for low blood pressure. Contact your doctor for instructions.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Amlodipine/Valsartan before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about all of your blood pressure medicines and how to use them. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any blood pressure medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure, kidney function tests, and blood electrolyte levels, may be performed while you use Amlodipine/Valsartan . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Amlodipine/Valsartan with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Amlodipine/Valsartan should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Amlodipine/Valsartan may cause birth defects or fetal and newborn death if you take it while you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if Amlodipine/Valsartan is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Amlodipine/Valsartan .
Possible side effects of Amlodipine/Valsartan :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; dry cough; sore throat; stuffy nose; upper respiratory tract infection.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; numbness and tingling of an arm or leg; severe or persistent dizziness; severe or persistent muscle pain or aches; shortness of breath; sudden, severe headache or vomiting; sudden, unexplained weight gain; sudden vision changes; swelling of the feet, ankles, or hands; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; fast or slow heartbeat; flushing; severe dizziness.Proper storage of Amlodipine/Valsartan :
Store Amlodipine/Valsartan at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Amlodipine/Valsartan out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Amlodipine/Valsartan , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Amlodipine/Valsartan is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Amlodipine/Valsartan . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.