Naftifine CreamGeneric Name:
Naftifine (NAFF-tih-feen)Brand Name:
Examples include Naftin and Naftin-MP
Naftifine Cream is used for:
Treating athlete's foot, jock itch, or ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Naftifine Cream is an antifungal cream. How it works is not totally understood. It is thought that it works by inhibiting production of a certain enzyme necessary for the life of the fungus.
Do NOT use Naftifine Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Naftifine Cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Naftifine Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Naftifine Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Naftifine Cream. Because little, if any, of Naftifine Cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Naftifine Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Naftifine Cream:
Use Naftifine Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Naftifine Cream.
- Do not cover the area being treated with a bandage or dressing unless directed by your doctor.
- Naftifine Cream is for external use only. Avoid getting in the eyes, nose, mouth, or other mucous tissues.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Naftifine Cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Naftifine Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Naftifine Cream.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If irritation or sensitivity occurs, contact your health care provider.
- Be sure to use Naftifine Cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Naftifine Cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Naftifine Cream should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Naftifine Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if Naftifine Cream is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Naftifine Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Naftifine Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning; dryness; stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation; itching; redness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Naftifine Cream:
Store Naftifine Cream at room temperature, below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Naftifine Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Naftifine Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Naftifine Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Naftifine Cream. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.