Neo-Synephrine Generic Name: Phenylephrine
Neo-Synephrine is used for:
Maintaining blood pressure in certain acute low blood pressure situations. It is also used to treat blood vessel failure during shock and low blood pressure or allergic reactions caused by other medications. It may also be used to treat painful, prolonged erections (priapism).
Neo-Synephrine is a vasopressor. It works by constricting blood vessels and raising blood pressure.
Do NOT use Neo-Synephrine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neo-Synephrine
- you have an inherited condition that causes the wall of your heart to thicken, a tumor on your adrenal gland, severe high blood pressure, or an abnormally fast heartbeat
- you are taking furazolidone or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) in the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neo-Synephrine :
Some medical conditions may interact with Neo-Synephrine . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have high blood pressure, heart or blood vessel disease, blood clots, asthma, liver disease, intestinal problems, diabetes, an overactive thyroid, an irregular heartbeat, or low blood fluid volume
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neo-Synephrine . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine) or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the effectiveness of Neo-Synephrine may be decreased
- Cocaine, furazolidone, methyldopa, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), oxytocic medicines (eg, oxytocin), rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the actions and side effects of Neo-Synephrine may be increased
- Bromocriptine, COMT inhibitors (eg, entacapone), cocaine, or droxidopa because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Guanethidine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Neo-Synephrine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Neo-Synephrine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neo-Synephrine :
Use Neo-Synephrine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Neo-Synephrine is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you are using Neo-Synephrine at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If the medicine contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial/container is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Neo-Synephrine and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neo-Synephrine .
Important safety information:
- Neo-Synephrine may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Neo-Synephrine . Using Neo-Synephrine alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Some of these products contain sulfites, which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals (eg, asthma patients). If you have previously had allergic reactions to sulfites, contact your pharmacist to determine if the product you are taking contains sulfites.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Neo-Synephrine .
- LAB TESTS, such as blood pressure checks, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Neo-Synephrine is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 1 year of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Neo-Synephrine during pregnancy. It is unknown if Neo-Synephrine is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Neo-Synephrine .
Possible side effects of Neo-Synephrine :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Excitability; headache; nausea; restlessness; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; convulsions; dizziness; irregular heartbeats; mental or mood changes; pain or redness at the injection site; shortness of breath; tingling or numb hands/feet.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include irregular heartbeat; tingling or numbness of the hands or feet.Proper storage of Neo-Synephrine :
Store Neo-Synephrine at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Neo-Synephrine , as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neo-Synephrine , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Synephrine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Neo-Synephrine . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Synephrine Nasal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Sudafed PE Consumer Overview