Neo-Synephrine SolutionGeneric Name: Phenylephrine
Examples include Neo-Synephrine and Rhinall
Neo-Synephrine Solution is used for:
Relieving nasal congestion due to colds, flu, hay fever, and other allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Neo-Synephrine Solution is a decongestant. It works by shrinking swollen and congested nasal tissues by constricting blood vessels. This results in relief of congestion (stuffy feeling) and improved breathing through the nose.
Do NOT use Neo-Synephrine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neo-Synephrine Solution
- you are taking furazolidone or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) in the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neo-Synephrine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neo-Synephrine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart disease, diabetes, prostate problems, high blood pressure, or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neo-Synephrine Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine) or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the effectiveness of Neo-Synephrine Solution may be decreased
- Cocaine, furazolidone, methyldopa, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), oxytocic medicines (eg, oxytocin), rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the actions and side effects of Neo-Synephrine Solution may be increased
- Bromocriptine, COMT inhibitors (eg, entacapone), cocaine, or droxidopa because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Guanethidine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Neo-Synephrine Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Neo-Synephrine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neo-Synephrine Solution:
Use Neo-Synephrine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use nose drops, gently blow your nose. Lie down and tilt your head back. Breathe through your mouth. Insert the dropper tip in the nose no more than 1/3 inch. Try not to touch the dropper tip to the inside of your nose. Place the correct number of drops in your nose. Continue to lie down with your head tilted back for 2 minutes.
- To use a nose spray, gently blow your nose. Sit down and tilt your head back slightly. Place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays. After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- If you miss a dose of Neo-Synephrine Solution and are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is much more than 1 hour since your missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neo-Synephrine Solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not use Neo-Synephrine Solution for more than 3 days unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- Do not use Neo-Synephrine Solution if it is brown or contains particles.
- Neo-Synephrine Solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Neo-Synephrine Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Neo-Synephrine Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Neo-Synephrine Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Neo-Synephrine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning or stinging in nose; dizziness; headache; increased discharge from nose; sneezing.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Neo-Synephrine Solution:
Store Neo-Synephrine Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Neo-Synephrine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neo-Synephrine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Synephrine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Neo-Synephrine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Synephrine Nasal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Sudafed PE Consumer Overview