Neotic DropsGeneric Name: Antipyrine/Benzocaine/Glycerin/Zinc
Neotic Drops are used for:
Relieving pain and inflammation in the ear caused by certain ear problems. It may be used with antibiotics to treat middle ear infections. It may also be used to help remove a buildup of ear wax.
Neotic Drops are an analgesic, anesthetic, ear wax removal agent, and skin protectant combination. It works by relieving pressure; reducing inflammation, congestion, pain, and discomfort; removing ear wax; and protecting the skin of the ear. An ingredient in Neotic Drops also helps the medicine penetrate into the skin.
Do NOT use Neotic Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neotic Drops or to similar medicines
- you have a discharge from the ear or your eardrum is perforated
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neotic Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neotic Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neotic Drops. However, no specific interactions with Neotic Drops are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Neotic Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neotic Drops:
Use Neotic Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- For topical use in the ear canal only. Do not get Neotic Drops in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Neotic Drops in your eyes, rinse right away with cool water.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for a few minutes to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear.
- To use ear drops, lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out. If you are using Neotic Drops for ear wax removal, moisten the cotton with Neotic Drops before inserting it into the ear.
- To prevent germs from getting into your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Do not rinse dropper after use. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If Neotic Drops are brown or contains particles, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Neotic Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neotic Drops.
Important safety information:
- Neotic Drops may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Neotic Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Neotic Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Neotic Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Neotic Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, stinging, redness, or new or worsening pain in or around the ears.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Neotic Drops:
Store Neotic Drops at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Keep the container tightly closed. Store away from heat and light. Keep Neotic Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neotic Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neotic Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Neotic Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.