Neutra-Phos-K Powder for SolutionGeneric Name: Potassium Phosphate
(poe-TASS-ee-um FOS-fate)Brand Name:
Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution is used for:
Preventing kidney stones. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution is a urinary acidifier. It works by increasing the amount of acid in the urine, which lowers the pH of the urine. This may reduce the growth of some bacteria in the urine and help dissolve calcium kidney stones.
Do NOT use Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution
- you have severe adrenal insufficiency (Addison disease), infected kidney stones, struvite stones, severe kidney damage, or high levels of phosphates or potassium in the blood
- you are taking a potassium-sparing diuretic (eg, triamterene)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are on a sodium- or potassium-restricted diet
- if you have heart disease or heart failure, kidney problems, myotonia congenita, swelling of the hands and feet, difficulty breathing due to swelling of the lungs, liver problems, severe burns, softening of the bones, high sodium levels in the blood, high blood pressure, an underactive adrenal gland, inflammation of the pancreas, or rickets
- if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) because high potassium levels, possibly with irregular heartbeat or a heart attack, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution:
Use Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution is usually taken after meals and at bedtime. Ask your doctor when you should take Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution.
- Packet - Empty contents of 1 packet into one third of a glass of water (about 75 mL/2.5 ounces). Stir the solution vigorously until all particles are dissolved.
- Bottle - Dissolve entire contents of 1 bottle in 1 gallon of water or other liquid (eg, milk, juice) and take as directed by your doctor. Do not add any additional liquid, but chill the solution if you have trouble drinking it. The solution may be stored for up to 60 days after mixing.
- Do not take antacids containing aluminum, magnesium, or calcium with Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you miss a dose of Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution.
Important safety information:
- Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution. Using Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- While taking Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution, the possibility of passing old kidney stones is increased.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abdominal pain; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased urination; seizures; shortness of breath; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution:
Store Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. The solution may be chilled after mixing and stored for up to 60 days. Keep Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Neutra-Phos-K Powder for Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.