Amphotec Generic Name: Amphotericin B Cholesteryl Sulfate Complex
(am-foe-TER-ih-sin B)Brand Name:
Amphotec should be used to treat only serious fungal infections. Do not use Amphotec for less severe infections such as oral thrush (white spots in the mouth), vaginal yeast infections, or throat (esophageal) infections, or for localized (not spread throughout the body) fungal infections in people with normal white blood cell levels.
Amphotec is used for:
Treating a severe and potentially life-threatening fungal infection (aspergillosis) in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Amphotec is an antifungal antibiotic. It works by killing the fungus and preventing its reproduction.
Do NOT use Amphotec if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Amphotec
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Amphotec :
Some medical conditions may interact with Amphotec . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Amphotec . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole) because the effectiveness of Amphotec may be decreased
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics (eg, gentamicin), antineoplastic medicines (eg, nitrogen mustard), cyclosporine, or pentamidine because side effects, such as kidney problems, may occur
- Leukocyte transfusions because side effects, such as lung problems, may occur
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) or corticotropin (ACTH) because side effects, such as heart problems, may occur
- Digoxin, flucytosine, or skeletal muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine) because side effects and toxic effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Amphotec may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Amphotec :
Use Amphotec as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Amphotec is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Amphotec at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If the medicine contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial/container is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Amphotec works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Amphotec for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain local regulations for selecting an appropriate container and properly disposing of the container when full.
- If you miss a dose of Amphotec , contact your doctor for advice on when to schedule the next dose.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Amphotec .
Important safety information:
- Amphotec may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Amphotec . Using Amphotec alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- To reduce side effects, your doctor may prescribe other medicines before administration of Amphotec . Take these other medicines as directed.
- It is important to use Amphotec for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Amphotec and may increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to Amphotec and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antifungals in the future.
- LAB TESTS, including kidney function, liver function, blood cell counts, and blood electrolytes, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Amphotec is not recommended for use in NEWBORNS. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Use Amphotec with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Amphotec during pregnancy. It is unknown if Amphotec is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Amphotec .
Possible side effects of Amphotec :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Chills; fever; headache; loss of appetite; muscle or joint pain; nausea; stomach pain; weight loss.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; convulsions; dark, bloody stools; decreased urination; diarrhea; dizziness; fast breathing; hearing loss; irregular heartbeat; pain or redness at the injection site; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Amphotec :
Store Amphotec as directed on the prescription label. Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Amphotec , as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Amphotec , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Amphotec is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Amphotec . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Amphotec Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Amphotec Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information