Nor-QD Generic Name: Norethindrone
Examples include Nor-QD and Ortho Micronor
Nor-QD is used for:
Preventing pregnancy. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nor-QD is a progestin hormone. It works by suppressing ovulation, thickening cervical mucus to prevent sperm penetration, and altering the lining of the uterus.
Do NOT use Nor-QD if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nor-QD
- you have vaginal bleeding of unknown cause, or if you have a history of blood clots, bleeding in the brain (eg, stroke), liver problems, liver tumors, known or suspected breast cancer, or genital cancer
- you are pregnant or may be pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nor-QD :
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, seizures (eg, epilepsy), migraines, asthma, heart problems, kidney problems, or a history of depression
- if you have a history of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nor-QD . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Acitretin, aprepitant, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), modafinil, nevirapine, oxcarbazepine, penicillins (eg, amoxicillin), phenylbutazone, rifampin, St. John's wort, tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or troglitazone because they may decrease Nor-QD 's effectiveness. Talk with your doctor about using alternate contraception (birth control) if you are taking any of these medicines.
- Beta-adrenergic blockers (eg, metoprolol), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), theophylline, or troleandomycin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Nor-QD
- Lamotrigine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Nor-QD
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nor-QD may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nor-QD :
Use Nor-QD as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Nor-QD . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Nor-QD by mouth with or without food.
- Begin taking Nor-QD on the first day of your menstrual period. If you begin taking Nor-QD on a different day, use a backup method of birth control (eg, condoms, spermicides) for the next 48 hours.
- Take Nor-QD at the same time every day, with doses not more than 24 hours apart.
- Start the next pack the day after the last pack is finished. There is no break between packs. Be sure to call in your refills ahead of time so that your next pack will be ready.
- If you take Nor-QD more than 3 hours late, or if you vomit soon after taking Nor-QD , use a backup method of birth control (eg, condoms, spermicides) for the next 48 hours.
- If you miss a dose of Nor-QD , take it as soon as possible and then return to your regular dosing schedule. If you are unsure what to do about a missed dose, contact your doctor or other health care provider.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nor-QD .
Important safety information:
- Nor-QD may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Nor-QD with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Nor-QD may increase the risk of stroke, heart attack, blood clots, high blood pressure, or similar problems. The risk may be greater if you smoke.
- Nor-QD does not stop the spread of HIV or sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) to others through blood or sexual contact. Use barrier methods of birth control (eg, condoms) if you have an HIV infection or an STD. Do not share needles, injection supplies, or items like toothbrushes or razors.
- If you are taking a medicine that may decrease the effectiveness of Nor-QD , talk with your doctor about using an alternate form of birth control.
- If you are switching from one form of hormonal birth control to another form, talk to your doctor about how to start taking the new form of birth control.
- Nor-QD may cause dark skin patches on your face. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Nor-QD . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Diabetes patients - Nor-QD may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Check with your doctor about having an annual physical exam while you are using Nor-QD .
- Nor-QD should not be used in CHILDREN who have not had their first menstrual period; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Nor-QD if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Nor-QD is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nor-QD , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nor-QD :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Breast tenderness; changes in menstrual flow, including breakthrough bleeding or spotting; dizziness; headache; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); absent or late menstrual period; chest pain; dark urine; depression; increased facial hair; lower abdominal pain; lumps in the breast or under the armpits; migraine headache; partial or complete loss of vision or changes in vision; shortness of breath; slurred speech; stomach pain; sudden loss of coordination; sudden or severe headache; swelling of fingers or ankles; tenderness, pain, or swelling of the calf; weakness, numbness, or pain in the arms or legs; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Nor-QD :
Store Nor-QD at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nor-QD out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nor-QD , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nor-QD is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nor-QD . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nor-QD Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Nor-QD Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Nor-QD Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Aygestin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Aygestin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Camila Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Nora-BE Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ortho Micronor Prescribing Information (FDA)