Nystatin PowderGeneric Name:
Nystatin (nye-STAT-in)Brand Name:
Nystatin Powder is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nystatin Powder is an antifungal. It works by killing sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Nystatin Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nystatin Powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nystatin Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nystatin Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nystatin Powder. However, no specific interactions with Nystatin Powder are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Nystatin Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nystatin Powder:
Use Nystatin Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle enough powder to cover the affected area.
- If Nystatin Powder is used on the feet, sprinkle Nystatin Powder freely on the feet and in shoes and socks.
- Do not cover with a bandage or dressing unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Nystatin Powder.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Nystatin Powder for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Nystatin Powder works best if it is used at the same times each day.
- If you miss a dose of Nystatin Powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nystatin Powder.
Important safety information:
- Nystatin Powder is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse them right away with cool tap water.
- Be sure to use Nystatin Powder for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nystatin Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Nystatin Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nystatin Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nystatin Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Nystatin Powder. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, pain, or irritation of the affected area.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Nystatin Powder may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Nystatin Powder:
Store Nystatin Powder at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nystatin Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nystatin Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nystatin Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- nystatin Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- nystatin Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Mycostatin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Mycostatin Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information