Nystatin/Triamcinolone Generic Name:
Nystatin/Triamcinolone (nye-STAT-in/trye-am-SIN-oh-lone)Brand Name:
Examples include Mycolog II and Mycogen II
Nystatin/Triamcinolone is used for:
Treating or preventing fungal infections of the skin.
Nystatin/Triamcinolone is an antifungal and steroid combination. It works by stopping fungus growth and reducing inflammation.
Do NOT use Nystatin/Triamcinolone if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nystatin/Triamcinolone
- you are taking mifepristone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nystatin/Triamcinolone :
Some medical conditions may interact with Nystatin/Triamcinolone . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have measles, had a positive skin tuberculin skin test, tuberculosis (TB), chickenpox, shingles, or wasting of the skin (skin atrophy)
- if you have had a vaccination with an inactivated or live vaccine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nystatin/Triamcinolone . Because little, if any, of Nystatin/Triamcinolone is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Nystatin/Triamcinolone may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nystatin/Triamcinolone :
Use Nystatin/Triamcinolone as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To prevent reinfection, wash your hands thoroughly before and after using Nystatin/Triamcinolone .
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Do not bandage, cover, or wrap the treated skin unless directed to do so by your doctor.
- Nystatin/Triamcinolone works best if used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Nystatin/Triamcinolone for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Nystatin/Triamcinolone is for external use only. Do not get it your eyes.
- If you miss a dose of Nystatin/Triamcinolone , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nystatin/Triamcinolone .
Important safety information:
- If Nystatin/Triamcinolone is to be applied to the groin area, apply sparingly and wear loose-fitting clothing. If Nystatin/Triamcinolone is to be applied to skin covered by a diaper, do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Nystatin/Triamcinolone should not be used if irritation occurs or if symptoms worsen or have not improved within 25 days of use.
- Nystatin/Triamcinolone should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nystatin/Triamcinolone while you are pregnant. It is unknown if Nystatin/Triamcinolone is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nystatin/Triamcinolone , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nystatin/Triamcinolone :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Acne; burning; cracking and stinging of the skin; dryness; excessive hair growth; inflamed skin around the mouth; inflammation of hair follicles; irritation; itching; loss of skin color; secondary infection; skin wasting; streaking of skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Nystatin/Triamcinolone may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Nystatin/Triamcinolone :
Store Nystatin/Triamcinolone at controlled room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep Nystatin/Triamcinolone out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nystatin/Triamcinolone , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin/Triamcinolone is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nystatin/Triamcinolone . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.