Pancrelipase Generic Name:
Pancrelipase (PAN-kree-LYE-pase)Brand Name:
Pancrelipase is used for:
Improving food digestion in patients who cannot digest food properly because they have a pancreas problem (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) caused by cystic fibrosis or certain other conditions.
Pancrelipase is a digestive enzyme combination. It works by helping the body to digest protein, starch, and fat.
Do NOT use Pancrelipase if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pancrelipase , including pork proteins
- you have inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) or a flare-up of long-term pancreas problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pancrelipase :
Some medical conditions may interact with Pancrelipase . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including trypsin, pancreatin, or pancrelipase)
- if you have gout, high uric acid levels, or a history of kidney problems
- if you have a history of pancreas problems, stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, short bowel syndrome, Crohn disease), or asthma
- if you have trouble swallowing tablets
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pancrelipase . However, no specific interactions with Pancrelipase are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Pancrelipase may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pancrelipase :
Use Pancrelipase as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Pancrelipase by mouth with each meal or a snack as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow Pancrelipase whole. Do not break, crush, chew, or hold Pancrelipase in your mouth before swallowing. Doing so may increase the risk of mouth irritation from Pancrelipase .
- Take Pancrelipase with a full glass of water or other fluid.
- Do not breathe in any powder from this tablet. It may cause irritation of the nose or throat.
- Do not change brands or dosage forms of Pancrelipase without first checking with your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Pancrelipase , skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once or take a dose without a snack or a meal.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pancrelipase .
Important safety information:
- Pancrelipase may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pancrelipase with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Pancrelipase may increase the risk of developing a rare, serious condition called fibrosing colonopathy. When this occurs, it is usually with high doses over a long period of time. It has been most commonly reported in children with cystic fibrosis. Contact your doctor right away if you experience unusual or severe nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain, or severe or persistent loose stools, constipation, or diarrhea.
- Pancrelipase comes from pork (pig) pancreas tissue. There is an extremely rare risk of developing a viral disease from this product. No cases of viral disease from pork pancreas products have been identified.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Pancrelipase can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pancrelipase while you are pregnant. It is not known if Pancrelipase is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Pancrelipase , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Pancrelipase :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; gas; headache; stomach pain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); painful, swollen joints; severe or persistent loose stools, diarrhea, or constipation; severe or unusual nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pancrelipase :
Store Pancrelipase at room temperature, up to 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store in the original container away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pancrelipase out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pancrelipase , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pancrelipase is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pancrelipase . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pancrelipase Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pancrelipase Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Pancrelipase Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- pancrelipase Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Creon Consumer Overview
- Creon Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Zenpep Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Zenpep Consumer Overview