PanMist DM LiquidGeneric Name: Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin/Pseudoephedrine
Examples include PanMist DM and Robitussin Pediatric
PanMist DM Liquid is used for:
Relieving congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
PanMist DM Liquid is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels, reducing swelling in the nasal passages, and loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use PanMist DM Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PanMist DM Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PanMist DM Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with PanMist DM Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma, enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems, an overactive thyroid, seizures, or stroke
- if you have a chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PanMist DM Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk PanMist DM Liquid's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by PanMist DM Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by PanMist DM Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if PanMist DM Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PanMist DM Liquid:
Use PanMist DM Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take PanMist DM Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while taking PanMist DM Liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of PanMist DM Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PanMist DM Liquid.
Important safety information:
- PanMist DM Liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use PanMist DM Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking PanMist DM Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- PanMist DM Liquid has pseudoephedrine and dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pseudoephedrine or dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take PanMist DM Liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- PanMist DM Liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure that your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking PanMist DM Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take PanMist DM Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use PanMist DM Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using PanMist DM Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking PanMist DM Liquid, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using PanMist DM Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if PanMist DM Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking PanMist DM Liquid.
Possible side effects of PanMist DM Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of PanMist DM Liquid:
Store PanMist DM Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep PanMist DM Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PanMist DM Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PanMist DM Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about PanMist DM Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.