Anemagen Generic Name: Iron/Succinic Acid/Vitamin C/Vitamin B12/Desiccated Stomach Substance
(EYE-urn/sux-IN-ic AS-id/VYE-ta-min C/VYE-ta-min B 12/DES-ih-kay-ted STUH-mak SUB-stans)Brand Name:
Examples include Anemagen and Chromagen
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or a doctor at once.
Anemagen is used for:
Treating certain types of anemia that can be helped by increasing the amount of iron in the body (eg, anemia caused by pregnancy, blood loss, low dietary iron, metabolic disease, surgery). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Anemagen is a combination of vitamins and minerals. It works by replacing iron in the body.
Do NOT use Anemagen if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Anemagen
- you have too much iron in your body (eg, hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Anemagen :
Some medical conditions may interact with Anemagen . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have another type of anemia (eg, hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia, pernicious anemia)
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, Crohn disease, inflammation, ulcer), metabolism problems, porphyria, or a blood disease (eg, thalassemia)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Anemagen . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Anemagen
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Anemagen may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Anemagen :
Use Anemagen as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Anemagen by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Anemagen whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Take Anemagen with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Anemagen .
- If you also take antacids, bisphosphonates (eg, etidronate), cephalosporins (eg, cefdinir), doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, minocycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with Anemagen .
- If you miss a dose of Anemagen , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Anemagen .
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you take Anemagen unless your doctor tells you to.
- Anemagen may cause your stools to darken. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Anemagen may interfere with certain lab tests, such as tests used to check for blood in the stool. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Anemagen .
- Lab tests, including blood counts and iron levels, may be performed while you use Anemagen . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Anemagen should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Anemagen while you are pregnant. Anemagen is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Anemagen , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Anemagen :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; severe or persistent vomiting or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; coma; dizziness; fast heartbeat; fever; increased or decreased urination; increased thirst or hunger; seizures; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or drowsiness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Anemagen :
Store Anemagen at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Anemagen out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Anemagen , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Anemagen is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Anemagen . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Allbee-C 800 with Iron Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)