Pataday DropsGeneric Name: Olopatadine
Examples include Pataday and Patanol
Pataday Drops are used for:
Preventing itchy, red, or watery eyes due to allergies (eg, pollen, pollution, dust, animal dander). Pataday Drops may be used alone or with other allergy medicines.
Pataday Drops are an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the eye symptoms of an allergic reaction (eg, itchy, red, watery).
Do NOT use Pataday Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pataday Drops
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pataday Drops:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you wear contact lenses
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pataday Drops. However, no specific interactions with Pataday Drops are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Pataday Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pataday Drops:
Use Pataday Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pataday Drops are only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- Do NOT use Pataday Drops in your eyes while you are wearing contact lenses. Soft contact lenses may absorb a chemical in Pataday Drops; wait 10 minutes after you use Pataday Drops before you put your contacts back in. Only reinsert your contact lenses if your eyes are not red.
- To use Pataday Drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Pataday Drops works best when used regularly, before signs and symptoms begin to occur. If your symptoms continue, contact your health care provider. Do not use Pataday Drops for a longer period of time than your health care provider prescribed it for.
- If you miss a dose of Pataday Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pataday Drops.
Important safety information:
- Do not use Pataday Drops to treat contact lens irritation. Redness due to contact lens wear may not be caused by allergies. Do not wear contact lenses if your eyes are red. If redness continues, talk to your health care provider.
- Do not use Pataday Drops for future eye problems without first checking with your health care provider.
- Pataday Drops should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pataday Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Pataday Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Pataday Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Pataday Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; burning or stinging; change in taste; dryness of the eye; eye pain; feeling that something is in your eye; head congestion; headache; itching; redness in the eye; runny nose; sore throat; tearing; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Pataday Drops may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Pataday Drops:
Store Pataday Drops between 39 and 77 degrees F (4 and 25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pataday Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pataday Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pataday Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pataday Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pataday Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pataday Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Patanol Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Patanol Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Patanol Consumer Overview