Peranex HC PadGeneric Name: Lidocaine/Hydrocortisone
Peranex HC Pad is used for:
Treating pain, itching, soreness, and discomfort caused by hemorrhoids or other anal conditions.
Peranex HC Pad is a corticosteroid and anesthetic combination. The corticosteroid works by reducing swelling, redness, and itching. The anesthetic works by helping to decrease soreness and discomfort.
Do NOT use Peranex HC Pad if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Peranex HC Pad or to similar medications (eg, dibucaine)
- you have a tuberculous or fungal skin infection, a herpes simplex skin infection, chickenpox, shingles, or a skin infection following smallpox vaccination
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Peranex HC Pad:
Some medical conditions may interact with Peranex HC Pad. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine
- if you have a history of thinning skin, skin infection, or other skin disorders
- if you have recently received a vaccination or if you have ever had a positive tuberculin (TB) skin test
- if you have liver problems or very poor health
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Peranex HC Pad. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Class IA antiarrhythmics (eg, disopyramide) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Peranex HC Pad
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Peranex HC Pad may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Peranex HC Pad:
Use Peranex HC Pad as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area as directed before you apply Peranex HC Pad.
- Apply Peranex HC Pad to the affected area as directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Peranex HC Pad and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Peranex HC Pad.
Important safety information:
- Peranex HC Pad is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool tap water. Protect the eye until the numbness goes away.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose, apply more often, or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Peranex HC Pad may cause a numbing effect at the application site. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperature until the numbness is gone.
- Peranex HC Pad has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Peranex HC Pad before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Peranex HC Pad with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Peranex HC Pad should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Peranex HC Pad can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Peranex HC Pad while you are pregnant. It is not known if Peranex HC Pad is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Peranex HC Pad, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Peranex HC Pad:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild stinging, burning, redness of the skin; skin discolorationSeek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive irritation; skin infection (eg, redness, swelling, pus discharge)
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Peranex HC Pad may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Peranex HC Pad:
Store Peranex HC Pad at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Protect from freezing. Keep Peranex HC Pad out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Peranex HC Pad, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Peranex HC Pad is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Peranex HC Pad. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Peranex HC Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Xyralid Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)